Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Weil Mclain boiler issues

Stansz
Stansz Member Posts: 1
edited February 2021 in THE MAIN WALL
I have a problem with my Weil McLain Gold Oil boiler that I'm hoping to get some suggestions on how to resolve the problem.

The boiler was installed new in December 2018 (26 months ago). The boiler has operated well and without problems since them.

In mid-January I noticed a discharge of water from the relief value on the boiler. My long-standing oil supplier and the company that installed the boiler came and said the most likely cause of the problem was the pressure relief valve on the boiler itself and replaced it. Neither the part nor the labor was covered by the service contract so I was billed.

The following day I had another water discharge. A different technician from the same company came and said that the most likely cause was the hydrostat probe. That was replaced, and I was again billed for the part and labor.

Two days later I had another water discharge. The first technician returned on January 29th and changed the "backflow combo" -- the pressure relief valve on the supply line. Again I was billed for the part and labor bringing the total billed to $. The technician asked that I keep track of the pressure and temperature readings.

The following morning (on January 30th) I had another water leak. When I reported this additional discharge the oil service company said that the technician (#1) recommended to replace the "feeder value and upgrade the expansion tank" for an additional charge of $. If I had them do this work my total cost would be over $ on a 2 year old boiler without any idea of whether this additional repair would fix the problem.

I asked the company why I should consider their 4th recommended "fix" to be any more accurate and reliable than their prior three part replacements. To date they have not answered that question. Surely there must be some way to diagnose components in the boiler system without just replacing part after part. No one would put up with this type of repair 'service' on their car. I've had a good relationship with the oil company for 30+ years, but I certainly now have doubts that they know what they're doing.

The interesting thing is that there have been no further water discharges after this January 30th discharge. Has the problem been fixed (or fixed itself)? If so, then how explain the last discharge which occurred the day AFTER the feeder backflow combo was changed ??

I have taken 28 temperature/pressure readings since the backflow combo was changed. Of these 28 readings 9 readings had the pressure >= 50, and 4 readings showed the pressure >= 60 The boiler and house heating has functioned well throughout all the discharge events. There is a tankless coil in the boiler and we do not have any problem with hot water.

Any observations, comments, suggestions, or advice on what I should consider doing.

Thank you.

Stan

Comments

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,776
    I have taken 28 temperature/pressure readings since the backflow combo was changed. Of these 28 readings 9 readings had the pressure >= 50, and 4 readings showed the pressure >= 60
    Pounds per Sq In?

Doesn't sound like there testing anything but are Guessing. Did the 1st tech put in writing his recommendations?

I would start looking for a different service company
    bucksnort
  • Stansz
    I have an email from the company for the 4th recommendation to replace the "feeder value and upgrade the expansion tank", but the prior 3 repairs were done on the service call, without a prior written statement
  • pecmsg
    Im not getting a warm fuzzy feeling from this company.
    DZoro
  • DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    Sorry to say but they don't have a clue about a boiler system operation. Pressure relief discharge, most, but not all the time points to a failure of the expansion tank. At least that is my first suspect when beginning a pressure relief diagnosis.
    I may not speak for all tech's but that's where I go first and not last.
    D
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    pecmsg said:

Oh really? Why not? Maybe because it would seem they haven't a clue? Expansion tank problem.

Oh -- and would the OP mind editing the pricing out? We don't do that here.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    bucksnortMaxMercy
  • bucksnort
    bucksnort Member Posts: 167
    Well you found a parts changer. They have no clue as to what they are doing. I'd be asking for a refund. They need to justify why they replaced perfectly operable parts.
  • pecmsg

pecmsg said:

Oh really? Why not? Maybe because it would seem they haven't a clue? Expansion tank problem.

Oh -- and would the OP mind editing the pricing out? We don't do that here.
    I know its getting harder and harder for companies to hire qualified techs but My God at least admit when they did something wrong and D O N ' T continue charging. That's when I fault management.
    MaxMercy
  • BillyO
    BillyO Member Posts: 277
    Jesus, On my worst day I would check expansion tank first. Great company if they can keep installing wrong parts and keep getting paid. UNREAL
  • Stansz
    To be fair to the technician he did check the expansion tank on the first visit -- but he did not find anything of concern at that time. He put a gauge on it.
  • MaxMercy
    MaxMercy Member Posts: 507

I'm confused about your pressure readings 50 and 60... what? Not psi hopefully?

That was my reaction. My previous boiler read over 90lbs continuously. I drained the boiler and it stayed at 90lbs. Bad gauge. I never got around to changing it as it had a fairly recent relief valve installed which never burped.

I would check the gauge first. If that thing really is at 60lbs it should be spewing water all time.

• Stansz
    Ok, I rechecked the gauge. There are two scales, and I was reading the outer scale which apparently is "feet H2O" The inner reading, which is psi currently reads 13
    Hopefully this clarifies things.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    @Stansz

So lets get to the bottom of the problem.

We need some more information

1st Do you use the boiler for heat only? Or do you have a tankless hot water coil in the boiler or an indirect water heater attached to the boiler?

2d Look at the relief valve on the boiler and see what the pressure rating is. It should be 30psi usually

Excluding a bad relief valve which is unlikely since it's already been replaced you have 1 of 3 possibilities:

1. The make-up water feeder PRV is leaking water into the boiler causing the pressure to build and the releif valve to blow off or
    2. you have a leak in the tankless water heater or indirect water heater (disregard if you don't use it for DHW)
    3. The expansion tank is bad

So there should be a manual valve in the make up water line. Make sure the boiler pressure is about 12-15 psi and shut this valve off for a few days and see if the problem is resolved

The expansion tank cannot be checked while it is installed on the boiler (unless it is isolated and drained) If the technician just put a gauge on the air connection while it is installed on the boiler and the boiler was not drained you cannot check a tank that way

• Stansz
    1) there is a tankless hot water coil in the boiler
    2) the relief valve on the boailer is rated at 30psi

The pressure relief value on the supply line was changed. There was one water discharge overnight on the night after this prv was changed. There has been NO discharge since January 30th.

Is there a way to check for a leak in the tankless water heater, and would this be likely after only 2 years of use ?
  • Stansz
    As you mention, I remember the technician opening and closing values in relation to the expansion tank. As a homeowner my concern was that all get set back properly, and I may not have understood exactly what he did in opening and checking the valves in relation to the expansion tank. So perhaps he did check the tank that way
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    @Stansz

No it is unlikely for a tankless coil to leak after 2 years but not impossible.

Keep and eye on the pressure.

If it rises the first thing to try is to manually shut off the boiler make up water and run it that way see what happens.

If it's not the MU water and it was me I would remove and check the expansion tank next

If the expansion tank is ok and assuming the expansion tank is sized correctly then the tankless coil could be the problem.

so there are three thing that could be causing this as I mentioned above.

They need to use their brain and troubleshoot and not throw parts a t it

Check "find a contractor" on this site and post where you are located, someone may have a recommendation

Sounds like they don't have a clue and they are charging you for them being brain dead.

What your having is a common problem with a hot water boiler not some hard to troubleshoot exotic problem.

• Stansz
    OK, I'll do as you say. I'll keep track of the psi and shut off the make-up water if the pressure rises, OR if I get another water discharge.
    I'm in 06903 -- Stamford, Connecticut.
    I do remember the technician saying that he did not think the expansion tank was incorrectly sized since it then would have failed from day one instead of 2 years down the road.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    I think there is someone on this forum in your area. Forgot the name but @Jamie Hall would know
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    There is -- @dobro23 . Good man. Works out of Danbury. If you click on his handle there you can send him a personal message and he'll get back to you.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Stansz
    Thank you -- I'll post any new, additional info I gather.
    Thanks to all.
    Stan