Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Entire house not heating properly

Options
tafc2016
tafc2016 Member Posts: 1
I am having a problem getting my entire house warm in Washington state. The main problem is the large living area and kitchen are very open and stay cold during the winter months. This is a 2-store, 2200sf house with a Goodman gas furnace, model GCSS961005CNAA unit built and installed in 2016. The crawl space is insulated as is the attic area. This 100,000 BTU unit seems adequately sized for this house but the problem is that it rapid cycles and does not approach the thermostat setting. I have it set on about 70 degrees but during our cold winter, it gets up to around 60 and shuts off. If this is such a large unit, why does it not run until it reaches the set temperature?

Comments

• HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,441
    Options
    Could be blower speed setting. Could be obstructions in the ducting. Are all the registers open?
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,646
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Could be something with the flame proving or the control itself is intermittent or even the t-stat(or more likely the wiring) as well
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,847
    Options
    Oversized equipment
    undersized ducts
    or
    Combination of both.

You need a knowledgeable tech to measure Static Pressure and TESP too see if the ducts can handle the required air flow.
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,703
    edited February 2021
    Options
    is the filter clean?
    is this a new problem? or from 2016?
    post pictures of the vents in the coldest rooms,
    and of the returns there also,
    might as well show the furnace as well
    known to beat dead horses
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Could also be the CPH are not set correctly in the thermostat. They should be set at 3 CPH for a high efficiency gas furnace.

You really need a competent tech to determine what's causing the short cycling and address the issue(s).
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Filters were my first thought and simplest. 2200 soft, Washington? East or west side of state. If west I would not be surprised if not too big of furnace for ducts. Just .02 worth.
  • DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    Options
    Sounds like it is shutting down due to high temp. Does the main blower continue to run all the time? When the burners turn off, is there a red flashing light in the lower compartment that maybe flashing a code of maybe 7 flashes? Should be a sight glass to look inside, can be hard to see sometimes.
    Pretty large furnace for that size of home, so even the slightest dirty filter, and lack of ductwork will cause this issue.