Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Taco circulatory pump question - not spinning due to not being oiled?

Options
Recently, I had to have the local oil company repair guy come over due to my taco circulatory pump wasn't spinning and thus not sending hot water into the vents. The furnace was working fine but the pump wasn't spinning. It didn't spin and according to him it burned out the fuse in the Taco SR501 Single Zone relay. He had replaced the fuse and spritz some 2-in-1 or 3-in-1 on the pump.

I ordered some 3-in-1 to be on the safe side and a few days later the furnace came on, the pump came on and I checked and it wasn't spinning so I spritzed it and it started spinning, it was also spinning all the 3-in-1 all over the floor.

Some backstory: I inherited the house with the furnace and the circulatory pump 10 years ago so I don't know how old they are. The furnace probably needs to be straight up replaced. The relay has been replaced within the last 5 years.

I haven't had this problem before so I dunno if the pump is dying or piece of it died and it's just limping along. Or it's because I skipped the yearly cleaning last year due to covid.

I saw the instructions about 3 cups of oil but didn't even know where to put that since well, as you can see from the attached 2nd picture, 3-in-1 all over the floor now.

I've attached pictures of what the pump looks like I can't find a serial # on it.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Comments

• Gilmorrie
    Gilmorrie Member Posts: 185
    Options
    Your last photo clearly shows a small oil cup on the shaft of the pump. There must be two more somewhere, probably on the motor. When they said three cups, did you think they meant three 8-oz cups? Use electric motor oil, not 3-in-one. Put just 2-3 drops of oil in each cup.
    kcopp
  • rkbentley93
    rkbentley93 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Can you circle these cups? I've added another photo of the entire pump can you circle where those cups are? I haven't a clue.
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,703
    Options
    try this

known to beat dead horses
  • neilc
    Options

bucksnort
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,525
    Options
    @rkbentley93

Since the service tech just oiled it more oil isn't the fix.

It could be the pump motor or it could be the bearing assembly.

If I were you I would replace the pump. That's an old timer

If it's making noise it is likely the bearing assembly. Also put your hand on the motor and see how hot it is
    MaxMercy
  • rkbentley93
    Options
    @neilc - thanks! Big help!

@ebebratt-ed - thanks. It's not making any noise. And I don't know if he oiled it with electric oil or put some 3-in-1 in there.
  • neilc
    Options
    guys,
    that motor label says No(#) 40 or 50 oil,
    they don't mean 40 or 50 weight as we know it today, do they(Taco) ?
  • BillyO
    BillyO Member Posts: 277
    Options
    Why wouldn't the service tech suggest replacing the pump? just curious
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,847
    Options
    BillyO said:
    Why wouldn't the service tech suggest replacing the pump? just curious
    Just replace that antique. 

As far as the contractor from his statements I don’t trust him! That pump has nothing to do with the fuse!
    MaxMercy
  • rkbentley93
    Options
    @billyo - He did mention replacing the entire furnace which is on my wish list but he didn't make mention of the replacing the pump.

Time to contact the oil company and get an estimate...

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,288
    Options
    neilc said:

guys,
    that motor label says No(#) 40 or 50 oil,
    they don't mean 40 or 50 weight as we know it today, do they(Taco) ?

Yes indeed they do. Single weight SAE 40 or 50 oil. That's exactly what they do mean, and what it needs. The 3 in 1 will get it spinning -- briefly. But it won't stay put.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    MaxMercy