Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

water de-scaling

t hardy
t hardy Member Posts: 29
any suggestions for descaling for water going into wall hung combi boiler
thanks much!

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    Are you asking about the domestic side or the Boiler fill side?
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    on the domestic side, a water softener removes most of the scaling minerals.

I did see some units at AHR that had a cartridge filter connected below, not sure how long a cartridge would last or what it does exactly.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,576
    The cartridge descaling "filters" for domestic water just add citric acid to the water. It will put the minerals and whatever is on the walls of your pipes in solution.
  • specky
    specky Member Posts: 2
    I have super mineral rich water, I think it's affecting my water pressure etc. What can be done with reasonable cost to fix it? Thanks
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    Test your water to know exactly what you are dealing with. The scaling minerals commonly found are calcium and magnesium.
    Silica and organic particles are common.

To remove the scaling ions you need a water softener. It is actually an ion exchange process, using the salt (brine) solution to refresh the resin bed. Obviously it uses water and salt on a regular basis.

Other processes claim to "lockup" or keep those scaling ions in solution. While not actually removing them, some folks are fine with less deposits on the dishes and glass shower doors that this process mitigates.

The minerals in water is what makes it taste good and replenish your body. You don't want to strip water to 99% pure with R.O. in my opinion as the water tastes flat, almost artificial.

All sorts of specific filters like carbon block for taste and odor, iron specific filters, sulphur, pretty much any unfavorable component of water can be removed, once you know what you have.

Water being the universal solvent will contain pretty much whatever it contacts in the ground, surface water, the air, and the piping and treatments added by public water providers.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    There are minerals and minerals. You need to know what minerals you are dealing with to determine how to get rid of them. Some -- the common "hardness" minerals such as Calcium and Magnesium -- can be removed quite effectively with ion exchange water softening, although that may raise the Sodium level to unacceptable levels. Others, such as Iron and Manganese, require different approaches.

One size or type does not fit all types of water, although some approaches, such as nanofiltration or reverse osmosis, have wider application than others.

Therefore...

The first step is to determine just what minerals are in your water.

Once you have done that, you can turn to any of several good firms who can assist you in selecting the right equipment.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    I use Rydlyme for descaling operations. The stuff is amazing.
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,230
    First thing to try is a DIY magnet gizmo. Probably won't work but little to lose.
  • Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,524
    jumper said:

First thing to try is a DIY magnet gizmo. Probably won't work but little to lose.

Depending on which minerals are to be removed and if installed correctly,magnetic Scale transformer actually can be quite beneficial !
    When Calcium within the domestic water is subjected to magnetic fields in a proper way it changes the structure of it in such a way that in does not have the ability to adhere to the piping system and fixtures.
    A good magnetic Scale transformer can be Pricey.. But when compared to a water softener a fact is that you will not have to constantly have to replenish Salt and waste precious water due to a backflush circle.. The upkeep on a Magnet is Zero Dollars !

One of the limitations is that the Calcium will revert back to it original stage when subjected to 80 C/176F.....But who runs the domestic hot water at these temperatures anyway ?,lol
    Maybe time to have the water analyzed by a Pro to understand what it is that your up against.

• jumper
    >>A good magnetic Scale transformer can be Pricey.. <<
    That is why I recommend DIY.
    Costs only a few hours of one's time.
    And if it works you feel extra smart.
  • Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,524
    jumper said:

>>A good magnetic Scale transformer can be Pricey.. <<
    That is why I recommend DIY.
    Costs only a few hours of one's time.
    And if it works you feel extra smart.</p>

Proper Placement of Magnetic fields is only ONE of the key factors for a good Functioning Scale transformer.
    A couple years ago there were about 25 to 30 different manufactures on the european market that made false claims.
    Some of them were using the Garage build,Get rich fast approach.
    Hey, it's easy ....Lets just take a magnet and strap it onto a pipe..
    The european equivalent of the consumer protection agency stepped in and made these companies proof that their products Work
    The result was that all but 2 to 3 of these companies disappeared overnight..

• jumper
    Magnet outside pipe is hokum. But drop a magnet into your toilet tank and sometimes you may be surprised.