Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Re-using Cast Iron Baseboard - What to Watch Out For?

Options
ScoutRider
ScoutRider Member Posts: 23
Good afternoon! I am renovating an old home in Vermont, 2600 square feet. I have lots of used cast iron baseboard available to me, so would like to put it to use. My question(s) are about what I should do to ensure a leak-free, optimally functional installation. I believe this is Burnham Baseray, but not absolutely sure as there only appear to be casting marks, no branding. Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,426
    Options
    Is this for hot water, I hope? If so, really the only thing you need to do is flush it out -- a hose will do nicely -- and check it for leaks. Use water, and run it up to 30 psi and see if it holds.

When you go to actually put it together, you may need to clean up the threads to get good connections -- wire brush.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,379
    Options
    If you're joining sections, you should order new push nipples and get the draw tool to pull them together.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    kcopp
  • ScoutRider
    Options
    Yes, hot water not steam.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,607
    Options
    @ScoutRider

Go on the Burnham (US Boiler ) site and download the install instructions. Base Ray is good stuff. Get a pipe tap (McMaster Carr sell china pipe taps that are plenty good for cleaning threads) or use a copper fitting brush with the handle cut off in a battery drill.

If you take the sections apart you need new push nipples as @Ironman mentioned. And a special tool from Burnham. If you have complete individual sections you won't need this.

I think they recommend insulation with a reflective barrier behind the Base Ray
    kcopp
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,440
    Options
    CIBB great choice. I second the new push nipples.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,735
    Options

@ScoutRider

Go on the Burnham (US Boiler ) site and download the install instructions. Base Ray is good stuff. Get a pipe tap (McMaster Carr sell china pipe taps that are plenty good for cleaning threads) or use a copper fitting brush with the handle cut off in a battery drill.

They now make fitting brushes with a hex shaft to put in a drill or impact driver. My hands with tendinitis love them.

ScoutRider
  • ScoutRider
    Options
    Good advice, thanks! I can't let this nice cast iron go unused.