Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Brown substance near pipe fitting on gas steam boiler

lowwater
lowwater Member Posts: 41
edited January 2021 in Plumbing
Hi,

I have a gas steam boiler and I noticed a brown substance that's leaking very slowly at the bottom. I've had a plumber come over and recommended to replace the entire piping (basically the 3 fittings shown). He estimated this to cost $.

My questions:
- Do you agree that this needs to addressed in the suggested way?
- The money quoted seems like it's a 3-4 hour job. Does that sound accurate? $ just seems like so much money for this.

Thanks!

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    No prices. Please, no prices. It's one of the few rules.

If it's leaking there, which it may be (I'd have to be there to be sure), then yes -- it needs to be replaced. How much of a job is that? Depending on where the nearest union is, it could be fairly simple. If that union I see is the nearest -- or only -- one, it's somewhat harder.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    mattmia2
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    @lowwater

Yeah, we can't talk pricing. Doesn't look two bad there is a union there and the return line in the back looks like copper.

He has to drain the boiler, pick up fittings at the supply house. Do the work , fill the boiler , pick up his tools and clean up and probably thread at least two pieces of pipe.

It all takes time and I have no way of knowing what plumbers charge in your area.

If it was me, I would wait until summer. It should be fixed but it should go a few months. Just keep an eye on it

How much water do you have to add to the boiler? Those leaks may be a sign of excessive make up water
    mattmia2
  • Bill_Kitsch69
    Bill_Kitsch69 Member Posts: 48
    edited January 2021
    Simple repair. If the boiler nipple needs replacement, Schedule 80 much preferred to Schedule 40 into the boiler. Looks like a bit of electrolysis. Go over the grounding in your home that it is tight and contiguous.
    ~ Replace what is bad Exactly as shown. ~ Figure from union down. Vertical might be good to reuse. As boiler nipple if schedule 80 might be good. Please don't chince this with copper; stay black pipe.
    Business, insurance (incl health), getting a paycheck, tools, truck, expenses, all cost money.
    4 hour - 1/2 day - job (if they bring the correct fittings with) + fittings. Now you know if it's reasonable.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,574
    You also have to work in to that rate that after spending a bit over half a day on your job you probably can't do a second job that day unless it is only an hour or 2 and close to your job.