Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Brown substance near pipe fitting on gas steam boiler

Options
lowwater
lowwater Member Posts: 41
edited January 2021 in Plumbing
Hi,

I have a gas steam boiler and I noticed a brown substance that's leaking very slowly at the bottom. I've had a plumber come over and recommended to replace the entire piping (basically the 3 fittings shown). He estimated this to cost $.

My questions:
- Do you agree that this needs to addressed in the suggested way?
- The money quoted seems like it's a 3-4 hour job. Does that sound accurate? $ just seems like so much money for this.

Thanks!

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,330
    Options
    No prices. Please, no prices. It's one of the few rules.

If it's leaking there, which it may be (I'd have to be there to be sure), then yes -- it needs to be replaced. How much of a job is that? Depending on where the nearest union is, it could be fairly simple. If that union I see is the nearest -- or only -- one, it's somewhat harder.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    mattmia2
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,546
    Options
    @lowwater

Yeah, we can't talk pricing. Doesn't look two bad there is a union there and the return line in the back looks like copper.

He has to drain the boiler, pick up fittings at the supply house. Do the work , fill the boiler , pick up his tools and clean up and probably thread at least two pieces of pipe.

It all takes time and I have no way of knowing what plumbers charge in your area.

If it was me, I would wait until summer. It should be fixed but it should go a few months. Just keep an eye on it

How much water do you have to add to the boiler? Those leaks may be a sign of excessive make up water
    mattmia2
  • Bill_Kitsch69
    Bill_Kitsch69 Member Posts: 48
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Simple repair. If the boiler nipple needs replacement, Schedule 80 much preferred to Schedule 40 into the boiler. Looks like a bit of electrolysis. Go over the grounding in your home that it is tight and contiguous.
    ~ Replace what is bad Exactly as shown. ~ Figure from union down. Vertical might be good to reuse. As boiler nipple if schedule 80 might be good. Please don't chince this with copper; stay black pipe.
    Business, insurance (incl health), getting a paycheck, tools, truck, expenses, all cost money.
    4 hour - 1/2 day - job (if they bring the correct fittings with) + fittings. Now you know if it's reasonable.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,677
    Options
    You also have to work in to that rate that after spending a bit over half a day on your job you probably can't do a second job that day unless it is only an hour or 2 and close to your job.