Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What escutcheon size for 1 3/4" OD pipe? IPS confusion abounds

Help clear my confusion on the size of steam riser pipe escutcheon I need to order for risers measuring 1 3/4" OD. I'm not clear on the difference between IPS and nominal sizing. For instance, an amazon listing shows the following:
Floor and Ceiling Plate Split Flange, Fits 1-1/2 Inch IPS Galvanized Pipe or 2 Inch Copper Pipe.
What do I look for in product descriptions that will confirm that the flange escutcheon will be a nice, very close fit to the 1 3/4" OD of my steam risers?

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Go to a big box or plumbing hardware store, pick up a 1 1/2" nipple, go to the section that might have the flanges. See how they fit.....maybe even buy them there while they are still in business.... before all the stores are crushed by Amazon. :|
    ethicalpaul
  • Motorapido
    Motorapido Member Posts: 307
    Home Cheapo and Blowes were very limited in their selection. They had many tiny escutcheons in the tub/sink/toilet plumbing section, but in the iron pipe aisle, all they had in a larger size are marked as 2 inch, and they show way too much slop between the ID of the escutcheon and the OD of the pipe. When I look online, I see references to IPS sizes and to iron versus copper pipe. Very confusing. I'm ordering a boatload of them (cleaning up and preparing a rental property for sale and you gotta have pretty pipe escutcheons everywhere, right?) and I don't want to order the wrong size.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,162
    1 3/4 inch does not correspond to any iron pipe size. 1 1/2 inch iron is 1.900 inches in diameter. 1 1/4 is 1.690.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    ethicalpaul
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    @Motorapido

for 1 1/4", 1 1/2" and 2" the OD is "about" a 1/4" larger than the nominal size. The nominal size is "about" the inside diameter. There are plenty of charts you can download
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,713
    edited January 2021

1 3/4 inch does not correspond to any iron pipe size. 1 1/2 inch iron is 1.900 inches in diameter. 1 1/4 is 1.690.

That depends on how many coats of paint are on the pipe. If it has been there long enough that 1-3/4 pipe might only be a 1/2" riser LOL :smiley:

Order 1-1/4 and 1-1/2 from amazon and return the one(s) you don't use. Also, check out Supplyhouse.com They have a liberal return policy. (not a Democratic Liberal... Just Liberal the way we used to mean it)
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • Motorapido
    Motorapido Member Posts: 307

So to put the question another way, for one-pipe steam, is the most frequently occurring OD of risers to radiators 1.90 or 1.69? My tape measure informed my lousy eyesight that the riser pipe measures 1.75. I'll guess that the pipe is then 1 1/4 IPS with a true OD of 1.690. Think that's correct?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,162
    Probably is. However, one simply can't say "the most common pipe size" for one pipe steam. The better installers used what was needed. Others used what was on the truck (or wagon!).
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,155
    PlumbingSupply.com has good selection with handy conversions for different pipe schedules