Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Anyone in North Carolina?

I’m looking at purchasing a home north of Charlotte, NC that has steam heat, and I’d like to know of anyone who services these in the area. (yes, I’ve already checked out Find a Contractor Near You)

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    You will probably have trouble finding someone. There are some in VA but probably far from you
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,570
    I'm near Raleigh. I ended up picking everyone's brains on this forum and reading all the books before restoring the steam system in my house myself.

My advice, if you purchase the house, is to do your best to re-store & maintain your system. It truly is the best heat you can have.

Look for the oldest HVAC companies in Rock Hill/ Mecklenburg /Gastonia area. Ask them if they have experienced people on staff.
    ethicalpaulErin Holohan Haskellluketheplumber
  • AirCooledVW
    AirCooledVW Member Posts: 32
    That’s what I was afraid of. Thanks for your input.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    @AirCooledVW

Don't give up. You can get a lot of books and information on this site and learn to do maintenance yourself. If you need help and you learn about your system then you can hire a compitent plumber/heating guy to do some of the work
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,570
    Sorry. But you are thinking of buying a new house. It could have a well maintained system or a poorly maintained system.

A couple good questions would be: who maintains it? How old is the boiler? What was spent on heating the last few winters? Is it one pipe? Or two pipe? What pressure does it operate at? You can tell a lot with the answers to those questions.
  • bporter1
    bporter1 Member Posts: 3
    I live in the Greensboro area, and used to work for a contractor, (recently was let go, didn't work out). Anyway in my 3 years of living down here, not many people work on boilers, let alone know what a boiler is. Very hard to find someone who knows how to work on boilers. I used to live in central NJ and I have worked on my share of boilers in my 20yrs experience. Heck before I was let go at my job, we were taking boiler "no heats" and they were sending me out, because I at least knew what was going on. We had a plumbing dept that wanted nothing to do with boilers, go figure. Good luck in your search.