Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

No hot water in shower

maroo
maroo Member Posts: 30
The shower water isn’t getting hot unless I turn the shower knob all the way up and when I do it’s coming out slowly. There’s hot water in the bathroom and kitchen sinks but it’s not as hot as what it used to be. Could it be because of the gas boiler? 

Comments

• Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,273
    Hi, Is there a mixing valve? Something is cooling down the hot side water. How hot is it coming directly out of the boiler?

Yours, Larry
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    Hot water in the sink? In the bathroom? and you're blaming the boiler? Ah... no. It's the shower valve. Repair or replace.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Youngplumber
  • maroo
    maroo Member Posts: 30
    If I knew I wouldn’t be asking. 
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    If you post some pictures of the boiler/water heater we can explain how to determine if there is an issue there by feeling the pipe.
    This sure sounds like a shower valve issue which would require a plumber are very handy homeowner.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,273
    Hi, Originally I thought it was just the shower valve, but then read this again: "There’s hot water in the bathroom and kitchen sinks but it’s not as hot as what it used to be. " That suggests a system problem, not just the shower valve. If all of the hot water is cooler, it could mess with the shower as described.

Yours, Larry
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Show us the source of your hot water, does it have a mixing valve?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    If the hot water isn't as hot as before, that does widen the field -- but if it's much worse at the shower than at other fixtures, I'd still be very suspicious of the shower valve. If it's allowing a cross connection it would do that.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • MikeL_2
    MikeL_2 Member Posts: 486
    edited January 2021
    Maroo,
                As others have suggested, post some pictures of your water heater. Your symptoms are common for a tankless coil that has some mineral build up. You may also have a tempering valve that needs attention.
                  Young Plumber may be correct about seasonal change,  depending on your location and water source. Public water systems water temperature can vary and be 40° lower in the winter.......