Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

pressuretrol question. is mine okay?

Options
tumbz
tumbz Member Posts: 94
edited January 2021 in Strictly Steam

is there a way to calibrate a pressuretrol? im trying to set mine to .5 cut in, and about 1 to cut out, but its weird because when i do that, the boiler doesnt run when it calls for heat the next cycle.

i would have to come back and turn the knob until the cutout reaches to about 2 before the system to fire up again.

does the CUT OUT mean the pressure at which the boiler is running at? I installed a new 1-5 gauge and when its steaming, the pressure is about 1 - 1.5. Im having banging in my main pipes, so i figure the lower the pressure, the better.

is this because of a cheap pressuretrol? i attached a picture of mine. It works properly, its just that when i set the cut out to 1, it wont turn on until i up it to 2......

can you guys suggest a better one?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,280
    Options
    In that pressure range, the Honeywell 0 to 4 psi vapourstat is far more precise (repeatable) and usually more accurate -- and is not that hard to calibrate.

It is very likely that the one you have simply will not reset reliably below the pressures you are working with.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • tumbz
    Options

In that pressure range, the Honeywell 0 to 4 psi vapourstat is far more precise (repeatable) and usually more accurate -- and is not that hard to calibrate.

It is very likely that the one you have simply will not reset reliably below the pressures you are working with.

due to my hammering and my old pressuretrol not being able to set the steam at a lower pressure, i think ill buy a vaporstat.

is this model number okay?

Honeywell-L408J1009-Vaporstat-Controller-Steam-0-to-16-oz to work with my boiler.
  • Jamie Hall
    Options
    Is this one pipe or regular two pipe? If so, I think the L408J1017 might be more suitable, as it can be set from 0 to 4 psi. The L408J1009 has a maximum setting of 16 ounces, and is more suited to vapour steam systems.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • tumbz
    Options

Is this one pipe or regular two pipe? If so, I think the L408J1017 might be more suitable, as it can be set from 0 to 4 psi. The L408J1009 has a maximum setting of 16 ounces, and is more suited to vapour steam systems.

i have a 1 pipe steam system. so i should buy the L408J1017 ?
  • Jamie Hall
    Options
    yes
    Br. Jamie, osb