Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need Advise-Confirmation for Underfloor (Between Joist) Radiant Installation -Northern NJ-Zone 5

13»

Comments

• hcpatel78
    hcpatel78 Member Posts: 151
    edited December 2020
    psb75 said:

I just noticed that you DO have a valve on each side of your dirt separator--red and yellow! Use them when flushing it.

I kept valves almost on both sides of each part of this system so I can service/replace it when needed in future without draining whole system. That will help me now. Thank you for all your advice and time.
    Hiren
    Thank you,
    Hiren Patel
  • hcpatel78
    edited December 2020
    I noticed in my system that after installing ODR Boiler kind of not short cycling. It runs nice 10 to 20 minutes depend on the outside temp.

But one thing is worrying me that my system circulator ALPHA II is keep running almost 24/7....is it made to run like that?

The thermostat keep calling for heat for longer period as supply water temp changes (reduced SWT temperature compare to night time SWT from boiler)during warm day time .
    Thank you,
    Hiren Patel
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,021
    really the two best operating modes for motors, relays, really any mechanical device is off or on.
    When a manufacturer develops a electro mechanical device they engineer into it a cycle life.
    Or some manufacturers send a quality valve off shore and have it "value engineered" a knock-off, the results are fairly predictable :)

As an example a common zone valve may cycle 5,000 times a heating season. We ask a switch manufacturer to design an end switch capable of 100,000 cycles, so a 20 year life cycle. Same for the motor and gear train. Then you put the assembly on a cycle test bench and cycle it until it fails to see if you meet the goal.

Maybe someday we have boilers that ramp from 400 BTU/hr output up to 40,000, so they fire once in the fall, off in late spring. Same with the circulator.
    With the low power consumption of ECM why not let it run?
    Your home electronics probably have more parasitic losses than that circ :)
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • hcpatel78
    edited December 2020
    @hot_rod
    Yes I consider ECM which is advised here by you & team heatinghelp and I am happy that its using only between12 - 22 watts of electricity like LED bulb,,,, so I am not worry about electric consumption at all,,,,,was thinking about life of the circulator. If it lasts even 10 years that investment paid off....

I like as whole system is keeping my floor at desired temperature at lowest possible SWT with nice very efficient circulator .
    Thank you,
    Hiren Patel
  • hcpatel78
    edited December 2020
    @hot_rod
    @GroundUp
    @ScottSecor
    @Ironman
    @SuperTech
    @BillyO
    @psb75
    @EzzyT
    @Dennis
    @Alan (California Radiant) Forbes

I would like to thank all members who guided, supported and taught me to finish my radiant heat project . It is working great. Without your precious advise and time this won't be possible and become reality.

Special Thanks to Bob (@hot_rod). I have attended so many webinar coffee with Caleffi etc. and you are true Gem of this industry. I can't thank enough to you and your dedication.

Thank you all & Merry Christmas. Wish everyone have Happy, Healthy And Wealthy New year!
    Thank you,
    Hiren Patel
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,021
    hcpatel78 said:

@hot_rod
    Yes I consider ECM which is advised here by you & team heatinghelp and I am happy that its using only between12 - 22 watts of electricity like LED bulb,,,, so I am not worry about electric consumption at all,,,,,was thinking about life of the circulator. If it lasts even 10 years that investment paid off....

I like as whole system is keeping my floor at desired temperature at lowest possible SWT with nice very efficient circulator .

I think more often than not, fluid quality not run hours is the demise of wet rotor circs. Another common failure is the circ sticks tight during the off season, needing a jump start. Most now include an anti blocking function to help prevent that.

It would be interesting to know if the pump industry has any lifecycle in mind, when they design and build. 8760 hours in a year X = ??
    I looked at buying a used Isuzu truck recently, took it to a dealer and the told me run hours and how many revolutions the engine had spun from the scanner on the data point! Also the temperature the engine had run at and what day it over heated.

With microprocessors in the mix they could probably data log all sorts of info. Maybe they are?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream