Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

thermostat

have an programmable thermostat, steam heat radiators. Why is it that when it's cold, let's say it's 64 degrees and off, I manually turn on - set to 67, walk away. 5 minutes later the larger number is stating the room temp- states 67? the radiators aren't even warm...it's a relatively new thermostat. There's no warm air heading to thermostat to immediately increase the room temp...

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Did you set the tstat up for steam heating?
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,616
    Digital thermostats lie about the room temp. It's not possible for it to control the space temp without it varying up & down a little. You seem to have one that's a little over the top.

BTW, steam doesn't like recoveries, it runs best with a single setpoint that doesn't change.

Mark929
  • Mark929
    Mark929 Member Posts: 72
    need to check on tstat for steam- does it matter?
    my concern with Honeywell rep- he claims my hand temp plays a role in the elevation of the room temp immediately after setting it higher. Room was 64..set to 67...came back 5 minutes later - room temp stated 67? radiators weren't even warm. Honeywell say can occur. I was concerned if the flux increases that quickly it shuts off the boiler, interuptus...and Honeywell then states soon there after it return to real temp. But that does address the up tick, the shutting down of the boiler, and the craziness of the system.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Out of the box the tstat is probably set for forced air, short cycles and maybe 5 per hour.
    Steam setting should be for 1 per hour, longer cycle. It does matter.

Tstats are less than truthful about your room temp.
    They need to be set for the system type and then it tries to compensate with showing you numbers you want to see but still deliver heat to make you feel comfortable.
    Mark929
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,616
    Even if that were to happen, a one-shot event like that wouldn't bother me. Boilers cycle far more often than that if oversized, for the entire duration of the heat call. (Think minutes off & < a minute on—for however long it takes to satisfy.)

While I can't say for sure, in my mind it's just an artifact of how modern digital thermostats calculate & display space temp. Does the room eventually make setpoint?

• ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,695
    Mark929 said:

need to check on tstat for steam- does it matter?
    my concern with Honeywell rep- he claims my hand temp plays a role in the elevation of the room temp immediately after setting it higher.

LOL time to find a new rep if you can
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,592
    My Honeywell thermostats lie about the indoor temp.
    Off the top of my head, if the set temp is within 1 degree it'll fudge the room temp to that.

If you change the set temp to 2 degrees away it'll display the real room temp.

I could be remembering wrong, it may actually do it within 2 degrees, but I don't think so.

It's what has caused many to claim their thermostat keeps the temperature nice and steady. Kind of like gauges in a car that are programmed not to move unless the thing being measured moves way out of spec.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    ratio