Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Thermostat for Hydronic Kickspace Heater

I installed a Beacon Morris K42 Kickspace heater and it is working as expected. I would like to have it controlled by a thermostat since its in a bathroom and will get to hot without it. The directions call for a line voltage thermostat, but I was having trouble finding one that would work with my unit since the K42 only uses about 30 watts to run the fan, the heat comes from hot water. I would like to use a heat only 2 wire 24 volt thermostat and use a relay like RA89a From Honeywell. will this work or is there a better option? Running electricity for a line voltage thermostat is not preferred. Thanks mark

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    edited November 2020
    Your option should work. Note that you will have to run a 120 volt circuit -- line voltage -- to the relay anyway, so I'm not quite sure what, if anything, you are gaining. You will still get a little heat from the kickspace heater anyway, but it won't be that much.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Sparkie212
    Sparkie212 Member Posts: 11
    I already have the electric in the crawl space run and hooking up a relay would be simple, Running the conduit trough the wall would require a larger hole for the box and then more drywall and painting. I did not know if the RA89a would be overkill or if there was a better option. I have a few of the RA89A's already to control the pumps for my boiler and at times I have a bit of a humm and would like to make sure I install something that is quiet.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    plenty of line voltage thermostats available. Look at any of the electric radiant heat manufacturers.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    mikeapolis
  • Sparkie212
    thanks for the screen shots of thermostats.
  • Sparkie212
    I did the installation with a 2 wire heat only thermostat connected to a Honeywell RA89a and mounted the RA89A to a 2 x 12 floor stud and it works fine but I get a humm when activated, I tried putting a piece of rubber behind the RA89A and still get the humm. Is there any way to get rid of the Humm or should I have used a different relay?
  • hot_rod
    Yeah, some transformers make a humming sound, maybe try and isolate the mount somehow.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    @Sparkie212

Funny you mention that freiking humming. I had a RA89A on my boiler for 40 years no problem. The relay quit and I bought a new one same thing......looks the same too.

But the new one hums. I read in the paperwork that Honeywell says to mount it on rubber. I ended up changing the boiler and sold the house and didn;t use the relay.

Pisses me off because honeywell has been making those relays for years

• Jamie Hall
    May I say -- drawing on the high fidelity sound side of my life -- that building a transformer which doesn't hum is really remarkably difficult, especially if one is trying to hit a price point.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Sparkie212
    edited November 2020
    I did try and isolate by putting rubber behind the relay and no help. Not sure what else would help. The RA89A is in the crawlspace and I can hear it on the main floor. I do have a few real old RA89A's on my boiler and they are not that noisy. The Taco relays say if there is hum they supply resistors that are supposed to help, I dont know if that is possible on the RA89A? Taco is saying that some power robbing thermostats are a culprit. My themostat is not programable but digital also has two batteries. Is there anything I can do to get rid of hum?
  • Jamie Hall
    Be sure that your mounting for the relay is actually vibration isolating. Just putting rubber behind it won't help -- it's the mounting screws or bolts or whatever. You need to create a mount which has no solid contact whatever between the relay case and whatever it's mounted on. Something like a mounting plate secured to the substrate and the relay secured to the mounting plate with nuts and bolts through rubber grommets in the holes in the plate.
    Br. Jamie, osb
  • Sparkie212
    Is this what you had in mind?

• hot_rod
    Try temporarily hanging the relay by a wire or something just to see if it eliminates the noise issues to an acceptable level . Suspend it with some perforated plastic plumbers tape :)

Or get a different relay.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Jamie Hall

Is this what you had in mind?

Exactly.
    Br. Jamie, osb
  • Sparkie212
    Thanks for all your help I will try and isolate the relay and see if that helps.
  • Sparkie212
    Well I isolated the RA89a and I still get the hum. I got a hold of Resideo(honeywell) and they recommended me sending unit back for refund with no recommendation for replacement. I just assume that relay is going to hum. Any suggestions for another relay or solution to my issue? I saw another relay the Taco Sr501-4- not sure if that will also hum. ??
  • hot_rod

Well I isolated the RA89a and I still get the hum. I got a hold of Resideo(honeywell) and they recommended me sending unit back for refund with no recommendation for replacement. I just assume that relay is going to hum. Any suggestions for another relay or solution to my issue? I saw another relay the Taco Sr501-4- not sure if that will also hum. ??

Hard to predict which transformer will hum, I think it is more about quality, not the brand name.

We had transformers built to a tight output voltage spec for the snowmelt sensors we sold, like this one.
    Direct plug in transformers built into a case like this tend to be 100% silent. Typically used for door bells, alarm systems, etc.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Sparkie212
    I can live with a little hum but the Honeywell seems excessive. The real old Honeywell ones I have are pretty much silent, not so with the new ones
  • Sparkie212
    Thats one of the ones I was thinking of replacing it with. If you have a question you can actually get a hold of someone at Taco also which may or may not be helpful. - Thanks for the suggestion.
  • Sparkie212
    Replaced with the Taco 501-4 and working just fine, Thanks again