Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Header has no pitch

Snowmelt
Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,415
A friend of a friend called me about an hour ago, said header didn’t have a pitch. No drop header which wasn’t that big of a deal. From the risers had a elbow going into a 4 inch nipple. Used both risers with something like a 14 inch pipe connecting them , from there , there are two take off with small nipples separating them. Then another 4 inch nipple to go down into the return. The question is , there was no pitch either way so I don’t think any water was collecting, the supply take off were hot .... just not going to second floor.
The question is a perfectly straight header, will that be a reason for steam not to travel properly

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,275
    Not really. It's not ideal, but that large a header shouldn't be a factor if, as you say, the takeoffs go up.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    ethicalpaul
  • Snowmelt
    That’s what I thought............. there is something else going on, possible not skimmed correctly .
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,703
    Skimming = what's the water look like and does it bounce?
    Riser to 2nd floor not getting hot(?) = need venting up there somewhere, or at the main, after that riser / end of main.
    known to beat dead horses
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,060
    Are we talking 4" long nipples or 4" in diameter nipples/piping?
  • Snowmelt
    4 inch long by 2 inch wide nipples
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,517
    If there was water in the header you would likely hear the problem. Level should be fine if the header and the risers are the right size and configured correctly