Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

site glass

Burnham IN5, new block installed. Old and new site glass returns to 1/3. I add ..to bring to half, next day 1/3. System turns on shuts off - adds more water. Should I increase feeder to add 1 or 2 additional gallon over LWCO setting? Need to find leak; which I cant seem to find. I know skimming needs to be done. Could wets returns be slowing down return water? At what level in site glass will allow cycle to run a few days before going to the 1/3 mark?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,159
    The critical question is -- where does the water level come to if you leave the system off for half an hour? If you add water, and it eventually comes back higher, there is a risk of overfilling the boiler, which you do not want. In that case, try setting the time delay on the feed to a longer interval, so the feeder waits to see if it really does need water before feeding.

I would not set the feeder to add more. Rather, I would have the time delay -- and let it feed a gallon, rather than the option which some feeders have to fill until the LWCO clicks off.

You ask at what level in the sight glass will the boiler run for a few days. Well now. Can't answer that one, as it depends on how much of a leak you have and how much water is in the boiler itself for various elevations.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Mark929
    Mark929 Member Posts: 72
    left alone appears at 1/3. last night brought to 1/2, this morning now sits 1/3. is having it sit at 1/3 and the system starting then stopping to refill a bad thing? How do i delay the feeded?
  • Jamie Hall
    Mark929 said:

left alone appears at 1/3. last night brought to 1/2, this morning now sits 1/3. is having it sit at 1/3 and the system starting then stopping to refill a bad thing? How do i delay the feeded?

It's not really a bad thing to have it start and stop. As to how to delay the feed, that depends on the make and model of the water feeder. On many, it's dip switch settings inside. It will be in your owner's manual.

And if you are adding that much water, you need to find that leak. Leaks never get smaller with time -- and as I'm sure you are aware, constantly adding fresh water is really hard on the boiler.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Mark929
    found the delay switch will add a minute or two. as i mentioned small leak in daughters bedroom - dump 1 gallon a week, i know that plays a part in the feeder # going up...but cant find any other place. wet returns ive read can slow down h2o return which may play a part- 110 yr old home. any other advice? you helped me 7 yrs ago after a terrible install with poor piping structure which when i showed them your comments they reconfigured!! THX, JAMIEHALL big time.
  • Mark929

The critical question is -- where does the water level come to if you leave the system off for half an hour? If you add water, and it eventually comes back higher, there is a risk of overfilling the boiler, which you do not want. In that case, try setting the time delay on the feed to a longer interval, so the feeder waits to see if it really does need water before feeding.

I would not set the feeder to add more. Rather, I would have the time delay -- and let it feed a gallon, rather than the option which some feeders have to fill until the LWCO clicks off.

You ask at what level in the sight glass will the boiler run for a few days. Well now. Can't answer that one, as it depends on how much of a leak you have and how much water is in the boiler itself for various elevations.

so change from LWCO to 1 gallon and extend timer a minute or two?
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    @Mark929

Do you have any wet returns under the basement floor?
  • Jamie Hall
    Mark929 said:

Exactly. Or even a longer delay, if it's available -- but certainly from LWCO to measured 1 gallon.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Mark929
  • Mark929

@Mark929

Do you have any wet returns under the basement floor?

i do not
  • Mark929

Mark929 said:

Exactly. Or even a longer delay, if it's available -- but certainly from LWCO to measured 1 gallon.
    Delay is factory set at 2 minutes will go to 4. And change LWCO setting to fill + 1 gallon - see how that fairs.