Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

piping question (steam heat) and gurgling sound

coolfx35
coolfx35 Member Posts: 77
edited November 2020 in THE MAIN WALL
Here's a video of the sound, this goes on for 15 minutes every morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ngea0jo3lH8

Can you guys take a look at my piping to see if you see a problem with the header riser?

Comments

• coolfx35
    currently don't have any major issues, but 2 radiators having gurgling sound when heat comes on.
  • coolfx35

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,159
    I really don't see enough of it to comment -- other than that it is in copper, and shouldn't be, and I'm not sure I see an equalizer at the end of the horizontal going back, and I'm puzzled by the T sticking towards the camera, and...

But whatever, the gurgling in two radiators is much more likely to be a sag or a not quite sloped enough bit of pipe out near the radiators...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • coolfx35
    edited November 2020
    Here's a video of the sound, this goes on for 15 minutes every morning.

https://youtu.be/iiigkbP5gdc

Both radiators are already pitched.
  • coolfx35
    edited November 2020
    the 2 radiators making the sound are added with the house addition 20 years ago, but before the boiler replacement 2 years ago, I didn't remember hearing this, kind of annoying more than anything else.

Some people on here say increase the DIFF to 1 on the Pressuretrol, should I try that?

The problem describe is exactly like this post.

https://forum.heatinghelp.com/discussion/78278/gurgling-sound
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,694
    Like @Jamie Hall said, see if you can verify that there are no sagging or low areas in the supply pipe where water can collect.

Is the steam supply to these radiators visible to you?

The answer is never increase the pressure of the system, and that's unrelated to the gurgling IMO
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    Is the valve fully open on that rad?
    If it is, then there is a pipe somewhere in the system that isn't sloped properly and the water is accumulating in that location. What you are hearing is steam percolating through water, good for making coffee, not good for heating the house.

You will need to be a detective and check slope of all piping and try and determine where the water is laying, I'd start with the feed to that radiator and go backwards from there.

The piping is copper, minimum spec, and I believe was thoroughly discussed in previous threads about your system. It might be contributing, but certainly not the primary for the presented issues.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    ethicalpaul
  • coolfx35
    edited November 2020
    Thanks guys.

Yes, valves are all fully opened. I am trying to rule out all the possible causes.

So it does sound like water is trapped somewhere and when streams rushing up, it's making that sound.. Not banging, thank god. but just gurgling sound.

It certainly sounds like making coffee in the morning. My plumber says to get used to it.

I have fully finished basement. so it's nearly impossible to trace that pipe.
  • KC_Jones
    coolfx35 said:

My plumber says to get used to it.

He doesn't know what he's doing.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    ethicalpaulSTEAM DOCTORCanucker
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Could the main gotten raised during the boiler change out?
    A little change there could affect your run outs, especially if they were side connected to the main or something like that.
  • Gsmith
    Gsmith Member Posts: 431
    is the radiator sloped toward the inlet pipe?
  • coolfx35
    edited November 2020
    Yes, pitching isn't the problem, both radiators are sloped, it sounds like the noise could also be coming from the inlet pipe, and not the radiator... hard to tell. Like i said, this is only on the two radiators (addition of the house) other old radiators of the house don't have this problem.
  • JUGHNE
    You could try to raise the valve end by 1/2" and the vent end by 1/2 + what you have there now for shim.
    Your pipe under the floor may be sagged a little.
  • coolfx35
    JUGHNE said:

You could try to raise the valve end by 1/2" and the vent end by 1/2 + what you have there now for shim.
    Your pipe under the floor may be sagged a little.

oh ya, sounds like I can easily take care of that. no problem lol. I do websites for living.
  • JUGHNE
    I now just looked at your video.
    I was thinking of cast iron radiators.

What does it look like with the bottom cover removed?
    Could you show us what's under the hood?
  • KC_Jones
    coolfx35 said:

Yes, pitching isn't the problem, both radiators are sloped, it sounds like the noise could also be coming from the inlet pipe, and not the radiator... hard to tell. Like i said, this is only on the two radiators (addition of the house) other old radiators of the house don't have this problem.

The problem could be in the feed pipes under the floor. Bottom line, you have a pitch issue somewhere. Get a level and a string line and start checking the basement pipes starting at the feed under the floor and work back from there.

The only other possible cause would be such horrible boiler piping that it was filling things up with water, but that would usually manifest itself system wide.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • Gsmith
    Is the inlet valve all the way open? Are you sure the inlet valve disc has not become detached and is blocking condensate leaving the radiator, these are easy to check and resolve 

• coolfx35

• coolfx35
    Above radiator is next to our bed, so we hear it the most in the morning, other one also doing the same but it's in the master bath, so we don't hear it as much, but here's the radiator in the bathroom .

• KC_Jones
    If the rad is sloped down to the left, and the pipe under it is parallel, then that pipe is sloped down and to the left also. Water could pool in the blue area. The pipe under the rad should be sloped down and to the right.

If that's not the problem next stop is the basement.

2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    ethicalpaul
  • Jamie Hall
    Exactly what I was seeing, @KC_Jones .
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    ethicalpaul
  • coolfx35
    edited November 2020
    okay, maybe I was wrong blaming on my new plumber, because I didn't remember hearing this before the boiler replacement... Maybe it has gone worse with time..

The pipe definitely looks parallel to me.

Sounds like a big job to make pipe changes?
  • Gsmith
    Looking at the first picture, you might have room to raise both sides of the radiator the same amount, say 1/2” to 3/5”, so that the radiator slopes to the left and the pipe slopes to the right
  • coolfx35
    edited November 2020
    1/2 seems right, radiator will be touching the wooden panel. This thing is probably 200 lbs. I will see what I can do, but thx for the suggestion.
  • JUGHNE
    I have never been near one of these rads.
    Do they actually sit on the floor?
    There looks to be shims on the left end.
    Assuming the wood trim on the top is level, there looks to be a little adjustment remaining on the right end.
    Might be more than enough slope towards the left end.
  • Jamie Hall
    The trick is going to be to get the radiator to slope down to the let -- and the pipe to slope down to the right...
    Br. Jamie, osb
  • coolfx35
    they are siting on the floor, right side is sitting on 1 inch wooden piece, and left side sitting on 1/2 inch wooden piece.. They are real heavy..
  • coolfx35
    edited November 2020
    see following
  • coolfx35
    edited November 2020
    Here's another observation, today I spent 30 minutes monitoring the boiler and the Radiator that making the noises.

The Sound definitely coming from the Radiator and not the inlet pipe.. I am 100% sure of that.

Here's another video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ngea0jo3lH8

I wonder why is my pressure gauge always 0 psi and it never moved. doesn't matter boiler is running or not running.

When the boiler first came on, it ran for 10 minutes, then it stopped for about 1-2 minutes, finally it starts up again..... not sure why, but maybe when the boiler stopped, the existing steam in the radiator condensed slowly into water, and when boiler restarted, it pushed new stream into the radiator causing this boiling water sound.

Did the boiler stopped after 10 minutes caused by CycleGuard?

Experts, please let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

• STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,951
    What size boiler? Can you take some pics of the boiler piping from future back? Always possible that there is a combination of issues. 
  • coolfx35

• Jamie Hall
    Couple of thoughts. Yes, the stop at 10 minutes is the CycleGard. Drives some people crazy. It does it to allow the boiler to stop foaming, which can fool the probe -- but if the boiler doesn't foam...

That 0 to 30 psi pressure gauge will likely never show pressure. It's there to keep the insurers and the code people happy (a gauge reading to twice the relief valve pressure is required). If you want to see what's happening you'll need a low pressure gauges -- 0 to 3 or 0 to 5 psi.

I don't like the copper in the riser and the header -- but I think I've said that before.

Looking at all the pictures again, it is possible -- but only possible -- that the burbling and gurgling is caused by the way the steam has to come in at the bottom of the radiator, and gets in the way of the condensate trying to get back out. If that is so, it might be that a slower vent on the radiator might help.
    Br. Jamie, osb
  • coolfx35
    edited November 2020

• coolfx35
    edited November 2020
    Is there anyway to modify the 10 minute on the CycleGard? If not, I still have low water cut off from my last boiler, maybe I will ask him to switch it out.
  • JUGHNE
    edited November 2020
    There look to be 3 things that can control the burner,
    The Tstat in in charge of calling for heat,
    then the pressure control will respond as the pressure rises and falls,
    Then the LWCO, if actually low on water,
    or the Cycle Guard does it shut down and check the water level.

To know which one is actually in charge you want a 0-5 PSI gauge added under the pressure control on a tee above the pigtail.
    (good time to check the pigtail for blockage also)
    Just leave the 0-30 gauge as is.

So if the Tstat is turned up say 10 degrees, that puts it out of the control chain. Then you can watch the new gauge to see about the pressure control doing what it should.
    And then the Cycle Guard will over ride and shut down as it does.

Without the low pressure gauge it is like driving blindfolded at night. Or not having a gas gauge or speedometer.
    IMO

• ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,694
    Check the two LEDs on the cyclegard while it's running. Mine is newer, but it lights one for "checking" and the other one (I assume the red one in your case for "low water"
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • coolfx35
    Paul,

how do the lights come on for you? I haven't paying attention, but I will now.
  • coolfx35
    edited November 2020
    Thanks for the education.

CycleGuard's 10 minute shut down is messing with my Radiator creating gurgling noises, otherwise i wouldn't care at all. it's a safety feature, I know.

I think in my case, the steams was trying to pushing the air out about half way, then boiler shuts down, and the air still trapped, then the boiler re-started, at that time the steam continues to push out air.

Either it's the air or condensed water is making those noises, but whatever it is, I need to mess with the Air Vent, or delay that 10 minute shutdown or swapping out with another LWCO.

Or is my theory totally wrong?