Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Desperate wiring help

Options
lilhalls
lilhalls Member Posts: 5
I have a york furnace (AC & Heat) a Honeywell ST9103A-1051 and a TJERNLUND SSR1 power venter with a carlin 60200-02 primary control. Does anyone know how to wire these?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,286
    Options
    I'm really sorry to say this, but... yes, lots of good HVAC guys do. But perhaps if you need to ask you need some professional help on the job?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Getting this right is a big deal from a safety point of view. The power venter must prove before the furnace can fire.
    I would reach out to the York or Tjernlund manufacture rep and see if they can send you a wiring diagram.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Options
    I agree with the above. 

This is a safety issue, which if not done properly can cause severe harm or death. It can work right now, but not follow the proper chain of events that are needed to prove the venter is moving air etc. 
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
    lilhalls
  • lilhalls
    lilhalls Member Posts: 5
    Options
    The sad thing is I hired an oil tech and he is the one who messed it up. I was a licensed oil tech back in the 80s but have not worked on them for a very long time .I am also concerned about the sequence. I will try the York rep. Thank you all for the advice.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    edited November 2020
    Options
    If you can follow a wiring diagram...page 14.
    https://www.tjernlund.com/Tjernlund_8504102.pdf
    steve
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,837
    edited November 2020
    Options
    @lilhalls, I have used this configuration in the past.

The concept is:
    1. Call for heat from the thermostat to furnace control.
    2. furnace control activates the blue and yellow wire from 9-pin Molex to activate the burner primary control.
    3. The motor will not be activated until the air switch on the power venter has proven airflow for exhaust.
    4a. After airflow is proven the motor will operate the burner fan and fuel pump.
    4b. At the same time the ignition is powered and the timer for the oil valve delay is started.
    5. The time delay on the fuel valve is completed and feeds power to the furnace control board to orange wire on Molex pin number 4 and the power is then fed to pin number 2 to power the oil valve and the oil is able to flow to the combustion chamber.
    6. The ignition lights the fuel and the flame is proven by the cad cell and the burner is able to operate.

If the furnace control is set to a safe mode then the power to pin #2 will terminate and the oil valve will close, then the burner will continue to operate with no flame and go off by hard lockout, and the diagnostic feature o the carlin control will indicate loss of fuel valve voltage.

If the fan prover switch on the power vent does not close, the burner motor will not start and the carlin control will show a different fault code that relates to the motor not operating. this will be obvious upon diagnosis of the failure when the burner motor does not operate after the power vent motor does operate.

The safety of this sequence of operation will be maintained under all failure situations.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    lilhalls
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,837
    edited November 2020
    Options
    The oil valve common (white L2) wire can stay connected to the primary control common (white L2) on the primary control, or th can be connected to the Molex pin #5 (Center) on the furnace control. Both are acceptable connection points because Common is Common where ever you can connect it.

You should do some tests after the wiring is completed.
    A. Operate the system with the oil valve disconnected to see if the sequence of operation will make the burner go off by the safety lockout (Manual Rest) of the primary control.
    B. disconnect the hose to the air prover switch on the power vent to ensure the motor does not start and that the burner goes off by the safety lockout of the primary control.
    C. Record the fault code of each failure to be able to use this information in the future for diagnosing the error code of the carlin control.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    Solid_Fuel_Manlilhalls
  • BDR529
    BDR529 Member Posts: 285
    Options
    T1 Trigger from oil primary, Orange
    T2 Neutral
    T3 proven signal back to burner, wire to burner motor

After running pull vacuum line, Burner should shut down
    lilhalls