Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Proper way to get a C-wire.

Options
I could use some help flushing out a C-wire for some smart thermostats.
I have a radiant heating setup with 6 zone valves (4 older Honeywells and 2 Tacos from an addition prior to my moving in). There is also a Honeywell valve for an indirect hot water tank. They are all controlled off a Taco 4-zone controller as pictured: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0i2zcbk94sokw1t/AACoytU5z15shwWUineUpF8Ya?dl=0&preview=20201024_210022.jpg
Current heating thermostats are two-wire (R and W), but there’s a green conductor as well that I’d like to re-purpose as the common.
The Honeywell valves all appear to gang together and tie to the Isolated End Switch. The newer Taco zone wires connect to the Zone 1 and Zone 2 thermostat and Zone 1 & 2 end switch connections.
Aside from the transformer in the valve controller box and anything that may exist at the boiler, there are two transformers mounted on the wall, also pictured: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0i2zcbk94sokw1t/AACoytU5z15shwWUineUpF8Ya?dl=0&preview=20201117_212329.jpg. These appear generally wired to the Honeywell circuits. It is only the Honeywell zones I’m interested in converting to use smart stats.
I came across the Taco wiring guide, which shows a couple options for common wiring: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0i2zcbk94sokw1t/AACoytU5z15shwWUineUpF8Ya?dl=0&preview=zone_control_wiring_diagram_1009.0_51.pdf. However, neither exactly reflects my scenario.
The zone valve diagram shows wiring to terminal 1 of the zone 1 end switch. Will this work given Zone 1 isn’t any of the zones I’m looking to have upgraded to smart stats? It also shows a 2-wire connection instead of Taco’s 3. I assume no way to connect to the isolated end switch instead?
The zone circulator diagram shows wiring to a connection point I’m not sure I have unless it means a transformer terminal. Is there some functionality here that would work?
I’ve heard mixed things about connecting to the transformers if not provided with a dedicated common. I imagine this would also apply to the wall-mounted transformers too?

The room: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0i2zcbk94sokw1t/AACoytU5z15shwWUineUpF8Ya?dl=0&preview=20201117_212347.jpg

Thanks for reading. I appreciate any help you can lend.

Comments

• Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Options
    The green can simply be landed on the C connection on the zone valve controller. 

R= constant 24 volts
    W= call for heat
    C= negative or common for the 24volts
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
    ZmanTheHeat
  • TheHeat
    TheHeat Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks! That...makes sense. Can I connect to any of the 4 C terminals? The tstats in need of a C aren't the ones that are wired into the R and W.
  • TheHeat
    Options

The green can simply be landed on the C connection on the zone valve controller. 

R= constant 24 volts
    W= call for heat
    C= negative or common for the 24volts

Thanks! That...makes sense. Can I connect to any of the 4 C terminals? The tstats in need of a C aren't the ones that are wired into the R and W.
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Options
    The thermostats which you want to upgrade are controlling zone valves which are powered by one of those transformers on the wall in your picture?
    TheHeat
  • TheHeat
    Options

The thermostats which you want to upgrade are controlling zone valves which are powered by one of those transformers on the wall in your picture?

Yes, that is correct.
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Options

• Solid_Fuel_Man
    Options
    This is what you need to do. 

Basically "C" is common to the transformer, valve, and now the thermostat. R is 24 volts straight from the transformer, and w is the call for heat (switch in the thermostat connects R and C when its cold). 
    TheHeat
  • TheHeat
    Options

This is what you need to do. 

Basically "C" is common to the transformer, valve, and now the thermostat. R is 24 volts straight from the transformer, and w is the call for heat (switch in the thermostat connects R and C when its cold). 

Thanks Solid_Fuel_Man! Heating advice from northern Maine pro comes highly appreciated.
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Options
    You are welcome!