Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Will It Help?

HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 635
edited November 2020 in THE MAIN WALL

Will It Help?

“Before I answer anyone, anyone at all,” he said. “I always ask myself whether what I’m about to say will help.”

Read the full story here

IronmanGrallertreggicross_skier

Comments

• Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,276
    edited November 2020
    Thank you to @DanHolohan and @LarryWeingarten for this advice.
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    Thanks, Larry!
    Retired and loving it.
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,272
    B)<3<3<3 ThankYOU!

Yours, Larry
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,713
    edited November 2020
    That was a great story and a good lesson. But you got to admit when someone comes into the supply house and asks for a bucket of steam, you must ask what size bucket he needs and let him use the phone to call his boss. And yes @DanHolohan, I did some research on the blinker fluid. It can be installed with a pump, but not a circulator.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • DanHolohan
    @EdTheHeaterMan, you always make me smile. 
    Retired and loving it.
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,161
    So true. Now if only I could learn to do that all the time...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • BradHotNCold
    BradHotNCold Member Posts: 70
    Sounds like that would be a lot more comfortable than biting your tongue after saying something less than helpful.
    Larry Weingarten
  • tomtech
    tomtech Member Posts: 10
    Great story and advice
  • Grallert
    Grallert Member Posts: 643
    "I didn't invite you here to criticize another mans work." These words have stuck with me and directed my approach to so many scenarios.
    Thanks for this good advice story it's always worth repeating.
    Miss Hall's School service mechanic, greenhouse manager,teacher and dog walker
  • scott w.
    scott w. Member Posts: 207
    My grandmother (1885-1983) used to repeat to me what her father (1843-1918) used to tell her when she was growing up "A still tongue makes a wise head". Those old folks several generations ago sure great sayings that made you think. We all need think before we speak !!!! The world would be a much better place!!!!
    Larry Weingarten
  • HydroNiCK
    HydroNiCK Member Posts: 182
    I needed this help. Thank you.
  • Dadude
    Dadude Member Posts: 1
    GREAT read! Thanx! Happy Thanksgiving!
  • Labenaqui
    Labenaqui Member Posts: 72
    From our first service call in the mid-1950's my Father's adage was: "Leave it a better place than you found it". We wore the same size shoes. I still have some of his, but I have never been able to fill them properly .....
    Hap_Hazzard
  • Larry Weingarten
    Hi @Labenaqui , It's a testament that you carry with you his statement from the 50s. I imagine that people who knew him and know you, think you do a great job of filling his shoes. o:)

Yours, Larry
  • DanHolohan
    Beautifully said, @Labenaqui
    Retired and loving it.
    Hap_Hazzard
  • reggi
    reggi Member Posts: 510
    Thanks for Sharing ☀️
    One way to get familiar something you know nothing about is to ask a really smart person a really stupid question
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    Good advice above and something I need to be reminded of.

Larry Weingarten
  • reggi
    reggi Member Posts: 510
    Well @Larry Weingarten I came across this post a few days ago as after the thread on your generous donation to The General Society of Mechanics and Tradesmen  of your Water Heater collection for all the reasons you fell in love with them to start with., the reason you traveled to pickup what at times must of been boxes of rusted metal that even made you think if you'd be able to restore it, and all those hours upon hours upon hours patiently sanding, fabricating, welding, reading, researching, painting and on and on..
    They had a value beyond a monetary one as in that term they are priceless to you..and like children you wanted to make sure they were care for. . for much longer than anyone of us here today will be around. 
    And to a venue where they will be a instrument of teaching for minds and eyes that would of seen such machines other than pictures in long ago forgotten books
    Somehow Dan captured you in his story and gives a glimpse of the Man behind that Donation and maybe to some the Father.. not the Collector of those wonderful Washing Machines!
    One way to get familiar something you know nothing about is to ask a really smart person a really stupid question
    Larry Weingarten
  • DanHolohan
    Beautiful, reggi. Thanks. 
    Retired and loving it.
    reggi
  • Larry Weingarten
    Hi @reggi , There is a lot to respond to in your words, but I'd like to touch on a few of my motivations for being an eccentric water heater collector. Primarily, I like the many ideas old heaters demonstrate. I'm fascinated with some of the creative thinking and elegant simplicity that went into these machines. Then, think about the times these heaters were built and lived in... so very different than now. Imagine how a water heater from 1870 was used! Practically, some of these ideas could be used today to make heaters that lasted longer, were more efficient and cheaper to own over time than what we commonly use now. There used to be over 150 water heater manufacturers, all competing on much more than just price. I watched as examples of old heating technology were scrapped, trashed, turned into garden planters or the like. It felt like we were turning our backs on the old machines and their creators. We were tossing a memory and resource, so I did something different.

I had been hoping to find a good and respectful home for the collection for some years... and then Dan smiled at me! Now, this teaching tool can live on and help others, in its way, for a very long time.

Yours, Larry
    reggiHenry