Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Beckett Pump losing prime - Issue returned after Annual Tune up

VicM
VicM Member Posts: 41
Original issue was under this forum.
https://forum.heatinghelp.com/discussion/179222/beckett-pump-losing-prime

Original Issue: Boiler runs fine if there is a call for boiler in 15 to 20 min. but if the boiler did not run for longer than that time, boiler starts but does not fire and goes into reset. After support from the members on the forum, changing the firomatic value resolved the issue. Until, I scheduled an annual tune up.

Tech changed the nozzle and installed a new spin on filter. The issue is back now. Any suggestions in what could have caused the issue to return since the only thing tech did was install a new nozzle and a new filter.

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Wasn't properly bled and/or filter not properly installed. Is the vacuum creeping up again while it's running?
    steve
    rick in Alaska
  • VicM

Wasn't properly bled and/or filter not properly installed. Is the vacuum creeping up again while it's running?

Vacuum goes to 10 when running. Based on the pictures from the original thread it use to be 8. I had a third tech right today. I told him to check the filter and the fitting but he does not want to do it saying that cannot be the issue. I also told him that it happened earlier in the year and replacing the firomatic valve resolved the issue. But tech is saying firomatic valve would not create such issue.
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,689
    a sludge plugg between the filter, and the tank?
    good flow into the filter canister? (assuming bottom feed)
    known to beat dead horses
  • MaxMercy
    MaxMercy Member Posts: 507
    I read your other post about the long fight you had with this. Others have suggested to go with a bottom of the tank single pipe connection, and that would be my advice (for what it's worth). In the meantime, has anyone manually tightened all those unions and other fittings?? Sounds like it's got a small vacuum leak somewhere. I'd grab a couple of wrenches and give them all a quarter turn each. Good luck
  • VicM
    neilc said:

a sludge plugg between the filter, and the tank?
    good flow into the filter canister? (assuming bottom feed)

Its a top feed. Tech open the filter and the filter looks good.
  • VicM
    edited October 2020
    MaxMercy said:

I read your other post about the long fight you had with this. Others have suggested to go with a bottom of the tank single pipe connection, and that would be my advice (for what it's worth). In the meantime, has anyone manually tightened all those unions and other fittings?? Sounds like it's got a small vacuum leak somewhere. I'd grab a couple of wrenches and give them all a quarter turn each. Good luck

I could not get the tech to tighten all the fitting. Tech installed Beckett Genisys 7505b-1500 and said this should resolve the issue due to 15 sec valve on delay. I asked if this would have any impact on the pump but the tech said no impact on the pump. Boiler seems to work fine now except to getting used to the first 15 seconds the sound being different since not fired.
    MaxMercy
  • MaxMercy
    MaxMercy Member Posts: 507
    edited October 2020
    VicM said:

Tech installed Beckett Genisys 7505b-1500 and said this should resolve the issue due to 15 sec valve on delay. I asked if this would have any impact on the pump but the tech said no impact on the pump. Boiler seems to work fine now except to getting used to the first 15 seconds the sound being different since not fired.

I think all the new controls are like that anyway. I have a new boiler with an AFG with the delay solenoid and Genisys control, and mine also runs for about 15 seconds before turning on the oil. It also overlaps the ignition for another 10 seconds after lite-off before shutting down the points. Those are the out of the box settings. The whole thing is so quiet though that I can't hear any change from what I had unless I'm downstairs near the boiler. Hope that's the end of your troubles..

• stonebutson
    stonebutson Member Posts: 24
    I've had cases where the seal or the cut off will allow air in right when the level of the tank is exactly at the level of the pump. It will pass a pressure test. It will pass a vacuum test. But right when they are at the same level - the air will get in. It was driving me crazy on a job until I caught it in the act. School of hard knocks - it's not in the literature. Change out the pump and see what happens. 
    MaxMercy
  • VicM
    MaxMercy said:

VicM said:

Tech installed Beckett Genisys 7505b-1500 and said this should resolve the issue due to 15 sec valve on delay. I asked if this would have any impact on the pump but the tech said no impact on the pump. Boiler seems to work fine now except to getting used to the first 15 seconds the sound being different since not fired.

I think all the new controls are like that anyway. I have a new boiler with an AFG with the delay solenoid and Genisys control, and mine also runs for about 15 seconds before turning on the oil. It also overlaps the ignition for another 10 seconds after lite-off before shutting down the points. Those are the out of the box settings. The whole thing is so quiet though that I can't hear any change from what I had unless I'm downstairs near the boiler. Hope that's the end of your troubles..

its been 24 hours and Genisys controller change has been working good.
    MaxMercy
  • VicM
    The tech said that the coil has a minor leaking and rust. If the leak gets more, I will require a new boiler. Can the coil be replaced or I have to get a new boiler? The cost could be 8K as per the tech to replace the boiler. Tech also suggested I should increase water temperate to reduce the leak. Current temperature setting is High 160 low 140. Should I increase more than this? Any suggestions.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    I've never known a leak to get better over time, and changing the temperature won't make much difference. In some cases the coil alone can be replaced -- but it's chancy.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    STEVEusaPA
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,718
    edited October 2020
    VicM said:

The tech said that the coil has a minor leaking and rust. If the leak gets more, I will require a new boiler. Can the coil be replaced or I have to get a new boiler? The cost could be 8K as per the tech to replace the boiler. Tech also suggested I should increase water temperate to reduce the leak. Current temperature setting is High 160 low 140. Should I increase more than this? Any suggestions.

I this about the (DHW) domestic hot water coil? They can be changed. One thing that happens on new boiler installations with DHW coils is... in some of the maintenance literature it states that after a few hundred hours of operation, the bolts on the coil should be checked for tightness. The gasket must shrink with the heat of operation. Of Course... no one does anything about this. So in a few years, the loose bolts start to allow the gasket to leak.

After you get the replacement coil, in about 6 months tighten the bolts a 1/4 turn or so.

Any boiler I ever installed, with this gasket would get a free inspection after 1 year and I would check those bolts and they were always loose. I would go over the recommended maintenance listed in the manual. and ask the customer if they wanted me to do that maintenance at the time of the free inspection... most customers purchased a service agreement from me then and there.

Regarding the temperature setting... do you have sufficient hot water now? If yes, then the settings are fine. if you experience cooler water while showering, then increase the settings. My go-to settings are 160° - 180° - 10° for the low limit - high limit - and differential respectively.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics