Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Process Piping

We don't normally do commercial or industrial work, but this was a job that happened along in 1995. It's a candle factory that manufactured scented candles and needed large amounts of melted wax.

It was nice to see the original Hydrotherm boiler still hard at work.

8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
mattmia2

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,576
    i have questions about the sump pump...
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    Looks like a slippery place :)
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,230
    Suspect that XXth century Hydrotherm boilers were under appreciated? Considerably less expensive than Slantfin?
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,103
    Allen I ve done some work w a company who does the same thing but just as sample batch for larger production companies very very lucrative business . They have a boiler we installed for a few exchanger tanks with manual switch over valves , but they prefer to use small electric 3 phase inline heater can’t remember the name of them there constantly break down and are usually non repairable plus there a heat and dump .they also have a large process chiller which operates through a open tank for a convey belt to cool the product has to use the sump so that all wax and bs can be ran through a strain not to damage the chiller exchanger or pump . . They also brought a pre heat tub that holds a couple of hundred of wax melted using a few immersed heating elements the tub is very well insulated and is just a 110 volt plug in , then it’s all transfer pumps for mixing ,It’s a whole different animal then hvac doing production work ,I don’t get the opportunity to often as of late much of the places which I used to do work and service in have gone the way of the dodo most down south some over seas and some just folded . The dyes and wax always make for a tool and shoe cleaning usually after every visit with most of the time good shoes are never worn . Peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • Clammy: Sounds like the same kind of operation.

When we first installed it, my boiler supplier said it would be more efficient to install steam, but steam scared me so we stuck to hot water.

They added a second boiler, a 400,000 BTU Raypak to heat a huge tank of wax in the parking lot.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab