Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New H.E. Boiler wont fire

Ddeily
Ddeily Member Posts: 3
Have a new Weil McLain Aqua balance that had to be replaced with out ever running. Text book install (knew if ever problem Weil McLain finds scapegoat) Been to their better heat school training. Local Rep came to job and left 4 hours later saying good luck! Was on tech support countless times....so ready for it....
When and if the unit fires it goes 0 to 100 in 3 seconds and blows the PRV.?
The only thing anybody from manufacture or tech say, they blame it on the installation and that there’s air in the bladder or whatever....OK...i ask how to get it out...NO BODY KNOWS. Gotta be simple stupid...please help

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    Sounds like you have a bad expansion tank. Remove or isolate the tank and check the air pressure normally it is 12-15 psi.

Make sure you fill pressure is also set to 12-15 psi
    mattmia2
  • retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 897
    It is time to call in a good service company (you can find good contractors on this site) and forget about the factory reps. I found very few of them to be knowledgeable enough to trouble shoot a problem system. Most of the time they showed up on a troubled job I told them that they wasted their driving time and to send the 1 guy they had in their shop that could solve problems.
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,761
    Did you pipe primary secondary ? Did you instal a set off purge valves on supply ?

Post photos of instal

I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,159
    Bad tank (possible). But if it goes that fast to overpressure, it's probably full of water. Before you even try again, make sure the tank is good -- and make sure you really have circulation through the boiler to and from the tank and to and from the rest of the system. Are there some valves closed somewhere which shouldn't be? Don't guess -- verify. In any event, it's not the boiler.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    mattmia2icy78rick in Alaska
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,888
    Pics, please. As much as I hate the AquaBalance, I'll bet my paycheck it's either piped wrong or there's a blockage in the piping somewhere. Or both. This is a telltale sign of no flow. Even if the expansion tank was bad, the pressure couldn't raise that far in 3 seconds unless the system pressure was only 1psi lower than the relief
  • fenkel
    fenkel Member Posts: 162
    You have something stopping the flow... even textbook installs can go wrong...all it takes is a pump backwards or a valve thats states it open, but its closed..  handles been  switched on it...
    Id check all ifc's, then check all valves, then pressure test different zones one at a time, then the manifolds, then.the boiler. It will take some time..
    rick in Alaska
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    @Ddeily
    You need to post pictures of the installation.
    I would start by getting some fresh eyes on the installation. Post pictures.
    Most issues like this are a result of something little that was overlooked. Occasionally, it is something bizarre like a stuck valve or a factory test plug that fell into the boiler.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Ddeily
    Ddeily Member Posts: 3
    The installation was months ago and the customer was a little anxious with what was going on, therefore after Tech support, local rep, cpl phone calls I had no choice but to Goto my #1 Supply house GROVE where i picked up a New Bosch Combi. We changed not 1 thing other than boiler for boiler, fired up and off to the races....
    Check this out as well. Took the Aqua balance very next week to another New installation job, didn’t get as elaborate with my setup....GUESS WHAT ? Same...exactly SAME thing.
    I think i just got a heap of **** from Weil McLain and its no good...they wont cover the unit under warranty, NO help at all.
    I even pressured them at their booth down in Orlando with promises of a phone call
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,888
    So you installed this boiler twice, somehow were told there would be NO warranty (what was their reason?) and went so far as to harass some clowns at a show booth about it, but never bothered to spend 5 minutes diagnosing the lack of flow? Okay then....
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    They have to give a reason for not covering their warranty. Sounds like a blockage in the heat exchanger.
    fenkel