Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

BEAVER # 26E Pipe Threader...DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO USE THIS & WHAT PARTS ARE MISSING IF ANY?

ww
ww Member Posts: 282
edited September 2014 in THE MAIN WALL
Does anyone know where I can get some information on this such as manuals and what I need to start threading pipe with this?

Comments

• ww
    I have to thread some 2 inch pipe and took this out again...tried a few ideas here and am looking for an instruction manual for this. it is not the same as these newer devices like rigid. Any help appreciated. it looks like there is an internal vise in this unit.
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    All I know is that a friend told me to always use the pipe that holds the vice to the floor.
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,615
    That, & a pipe in the handle in the power pony…
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    you rotate the dies until the size you want to thread are lined up . there should be a line on the casting to line up with the pipe size selected then tighten those clamps down

but a close up of the actual die they look like there chipped up don't know how well they will work

dies for those threaders are sadly no longer available as Toledo sold out to Curtis Air compressor and they stopped making those dies
    STEVEusaPApsb75
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Good stuff @EBEBRATT-Ed. I figured you’d probably know
    steve
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,713
    edited September 2020
    This is close but a slightly different model. Maybe this will help a little. Found this on eBay. With careful adjustments and lots of cutting oil, you may get what you need. If the threads are for a project that does not need to hold pressure, then the quality of the threads may not matter.

If you need good threads for gas pipe or pressure, then rent one for the needed project.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Beaver-Pipe-Threader-26-R-Tool-1-2-Warren-Ohio-1949-/174191649534
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • ww
    ok thanks...been practicing doing threading. the pipes i want to thread are for oil tank fill and vent which are 2 inch. i did notice the chipped threads. thanks to you all for the info here and diagrams and instructions.

was wondering if the chipped threads would cause a problem and see now that the new..inserts are not available. ..maybe a problem?

do you think this would work the way it is and would be good for what i want to do...i know when the oil is delivered it can go in pretty fast under pressure too....so will see....i like to do jobs the right way the first time. Thanks!
  • STEVEusaPA
    I don't think your threader with those die heads is going to work.
    Also, no teflon tape on threads, pipe dope only.
    Tank piping requires swing joints.
    I would let the oil company know you piped new/existing oil tank so someone can check the tank and piping, to make sure there are no problems and no leaks on the first fill.
    Otherwise you, and maybe not your insurance company, will assume all cost and liability in the event of a spill.
    steve
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583

I don't think your threader with those die heads is going to work.
    Also, no teflon tape on threads, pipe dope only.
    Tank piping requires swing joints.
    I would let the oil company know you piped new/existing oil tank so someone can check the tank and piping, to make sure there are no problems and no leaks on the first fill.
    Otherwise you, and maybe not your insurance company, will assume all cost and liability in the event of a spill.

Steve have you ever been told the reason teflon tape isn't allowed on oil lines?

PTFE shows excellent compatibility for diesel fuel as well as other petroleum products, so I assume it's for a similar reason to natural gas / LPG?

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    mattmia2
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,572
    What is the reason for gas? I don't think the michigan residential code has any prohibition of it.
  • ChrisJ
    mattmia2 said:

What is the reason for gas? I don't think the michigan residential code has any prohibition of it.

Some areas allow it, others do not.
    The reason is if used improperly, bits and pieces can get stuck in gas valves etc and cause problems. If used properly, there is no issue.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • ww
    edited September 2020
    yes to the swing joints and sealant...like the blue stuff here....with the pitch of the tank toward the fill valve without a swing joint it wouldn't slope toward the tank and cause more problems. glad to see Steve you are well versed on this subject and clarify the codes and videos about the subject..i guess i won't bother threading the pipes with this unit either...if there is a chance of not cutting the threads properly it's not worth the trouble. Ed seems to think it wouldn't be the best choice to use either.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    IIUC, big box stores will thread pipe if you buy it there.
    (threading competence is sometime questioned. )
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    or you can rent a threader. Some supply houses can cut and thread pipe.

We used to use teflon tape on oil lines all the time and it was never an issue but it was outlawed many years ago.

The original issue back then (unless they found more issues) was the pump manufacturers complained about pumps being returned where the fittings had been screwed in way to tight due to the low friction of the teflon tape and damaging the pumps
  • ChrisJ
    or you can rent a threader. Some supply houses can cut and thread pipe. We used to use teflon tape on oil lines all the time and it was never an issue but it was outlawed many years ago. The original issue back then (unless they found more issues) was the pump manufacturers complained about pumps being returned where the fittings had been screwed in way to tight due to the low friction of the teflon tape and damaging the pumps

For what it's worth, my dad used to rebuild carburetors for someone that insisted on using tape on the fuel lines even though my dad told him to stop repeatedly.     He often got one with tape making the float leak.  Even worse I think they were all flare connections.

I don't think there's a right way to use it in that application.
  • STEVEusaPA
    @ChrisJ , what @EBEBRATT-Ed said. They also claimed the tape could break down and damage the pump, or break down and cause a leak. No sense in fighting it as if there was a leak and threads had Teflon tape, I’m sure the tech would lose that court battle.
    However on my oil trucks, every delivery nozzle and hose assembly has Teflon tape and pipe dope. Never had a leak or a problem.
    steve
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,572
    Carbs frequently have NPT inlets and adapters to flare.

Most better hardware stores can thread pipe and they know what they are doing.
  • CLamb
    CLamb Member Posts: 272
    ww said:

was wondering if the chipped threads would cause a problem and see now that the new..inserts are not available. ..maybe a problem?

You might find usable inserts for sale on ebay.

• Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,272
    Hi @ww , @CLamb nailed it! Here's a link to a quick search on ebay with 55 listings. Maybe something there will work: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=beaver+threader+dies&_sacat=0&_dmd=2&rt=nc
    B)
    CLamb
  • ww
    ok...thanks for the info