Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Type of piping for pool heater

karenn
karenn Member Posts: 5
I am about to get a 3/4" gas pipe installed for a pool heater. I am trying to figure out what type of piping I should get installed. Does the CSST piping make noise when the gas is on for the pool heater? (it will be installed in my attic space). Should I go with CSST and galvanized/black or should I go with Galvanized only?

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583
    I do not believe CSST makes noise but pretty much everyone on this forum will tell you to use black iron pipe.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    mattmia2Solid_Fuel_Man
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    I would second the black threaded pipe.

Your installer has determined you need only 3/4" supply?

Heater in the attic.......never heard of that one.....but then I am just a country boy.
    mattmia2
  • karenn
    The heater is not in the attic, but the piping will be installed in the attic.
  • karenn
    I guess i will go with Black iron. Not sure if I am convinced yet.
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    CCST is glorified appliance connector. We cannot legally run an appliance connector in a concealed space due to its paper thin wall construction. Yet.....CCST can be run pretty much everywhere.  I would only run black pipe in my own home, or copper/black if we are talking propane. 
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
    mattmia2Zman
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,572
    CSST has a tendency to get holes burned in it and start a fire with nearby lightning strikes.
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    There are less safe ways to move natural gas than CSST. Black pipe is preferred. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2108346/Chinese-villagers-carry-giant-balloons-stolen-natural-gas-heat-homes.html
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    I agree that CSST is junk. I have used it only a couple of times. Temporary feed to a couple of roof top units, above a drop ceiling with 2' square tiles almost touching the joists. Couldn't get a 10 footer in there no way and the CSST was protected.

Check the size of your pool heater they are usually 250,000-300,000 btu. More like 1" or 1 1/4" pipe
  • karenn
    Thank you all. I am convinced. I will go with black pipe
  • @JUGHNE said,
    "Your installer has determined you need only 3/4" supply?"

Your pool heater must be VERY small. You can't get much gas out of a 3/4" pipe. What is the input rating of the heater?
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Maybe with a short run with 2 PSI system?
    mattmia2
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,572
    Or propane
    JUGHNE