Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Oil Boiler and Oil Tank Disposal ?

Andrea44
Andrea44 Member Posts: 5
Hello. We just switched a new gas boiler, with rads in 2 zones, and an indirect water tank, and are thrilled!
Of course, now we need to dispose of the old, disconnected, and practically empty, 640L oil tank and boiler (in Ontario, Canada). Any suggestions on how to safely and cheaply?
Or - although old, they worked last winter! HydroTherm 112BTU if anyone is interested.

Thanks!

Comments

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,762
    Clean it out and cut it up , then junk it ..
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    Contact your local municipality or whatever on just how to go about junking it before you do. Various jurisdictions have varying rules on how to handle old oil tanks. Sometimes it's simple. Sometimes not so much. Don't guess -- the fines for not doing it right can be eye-watering.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    Any reason why the contractor didn't offer removal and disposal in the proposal? A subcontractor for a buried tank abatement if needed but otherwise we haul away everything. 
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,725
    Although I feel that my Buderus boiler is worth a lot when I do switch to ModCon gas, I know that I could not even get the 1/2 the wholesale price of the boiler, the scrap yard will give me what it worth in weight (of cast iron) if I take it apart, The oil tank is a liability. It will cost you to get rid of it. In my area, the authority having jurisdiction requires the tank have a hole cut in it large enough to get inside to clean it out with degreaser and rags. after that, they will remove it for free. This way they get the scrap metal value... and you get to use a ton of soap and water to clean up yourself after the tank is prepared.

Now... I call a guy!

Check out handyman advertisements in your area. There is a guy who takes away tanks. The boiler might will be a plus for him!

Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • weedhopper
    weedhopper Member Posts: 59
    The guys at the dump, um, transfer station took mine for free. They were going to cut in half for a pig roast.
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,616
    I can smell that from here…
    Canucker
  • Canucker
    Canucker Member Posts: 722
    Andrea44 said:

Hello. We just switched a new gas boiler, with rads in 2 zones, and an indirect water tank, and are thrilled!
    Of course, now we need to dispose of the old, disconnected, and practically empty, 640L oil tank and boiler (in Ontario, Canada). Any suggestions on how to safely and cheaply?
    Or - although old, they worked last winter! HydroTherm 112BTU if anyone is interested.

Thanks!

Call the TSSA. They'll know who is certified to get rid of it in your area
    You can have it good, fast or cheap. Pick two