Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Damn plastic to plastic threaded fittings .... damn the jam

oak
oak Member Posts: 22
Please, can anyone offer a solution to the jamming of my threaded plastic whole-house water filter bowl jamming into the threaded plastic housing? It's nuts. Even with the most expensive dielectric food-grade lubricant, and only hand tightening the unit, the plastic bowl jams so tight I literally rip it off the mount every time I have to change a filter. If there is no lubricant that can prevent this, how about a recommendation for a 3/4" feed prefilter that uses ... say .... plastic to metal, for example.

This is the same problem as PVC threaded pipe jams.

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    For the filter bowl, you shut off the supply in and discharge out....but do you have a way to release the pressure within the bowl. Some have a button to release the pressure.
    STEVEusaPASuperTechdelta T
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,576
    Mine seem to bind on the o-ring a lot more than the plastic.
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,426
    Ya! it's a common problem. Silicone grease doesn't seem to help.

I haven't done this but I think I'll try it. Clean the threads, male and female with lacquer thinner. Then I would lubricate the threads with graphite power. You can get graphite in a auto parts store. Graphite is inert to plastic and a great lubricant.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,776
    One piece of grit, one grain of sand cuts the plastic and form's notches that grab when trying to remove. Wash both Male and Female threads well before tightening. The O-Ring is the seal, a little food grade grease on there, hand tighten, slowly turn on if leaking replace the O-Ring.
  • realliveplumber
    realliveplumber Member Posts: 354

Ya! it's a common problem. Silicone grease doesn't seem to help.

I haven't done this but I think I'll try it. Clean the threads, male and female with lacquer thinner. Then I would lubricate the threads with graphite power. You can get graphite in a auto parts store. Graphite is inert to plastic and a great lubricant.

Lacquer thinner on potable water?
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,762
    Plumbers grease on the threads and drop the pressure when opening .....
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    If you have no pressure release button/valve, you can shut off the supply valve. Leave the outlet valve open and drain some water (drop pressure on cartridge) from a sink.

At least 4 people here think this will not unscrew easily under pressure......this is true of other situations also.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    There used to be some 1/4 turn twist lock style that worked much better. I think they were brass body, stainless canister. Probably gone due to low lead requirements?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,426
    edited August 2020
    realliveplumber, The threads donna contacta potable water, besides the evaporative quality is rapid and it may be a silicone grease cutter. You're not taking a bath in it. Just saying.

It's a pain in the you know what to use a 24" pipe wrench to crack the threads on a whole house filter's plastic housing. No pun intended.
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    I have also found if you use two filter wrenches with the handles 180 apart on the filter, that the filter will come off with a LOT less pull. I also use stem lube on all my o-rings and threads.
    Rick