Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Weil McLain cga 5

Snowmelt
Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,405
I have a 3 year old cga that I am taking out of a customers house. Like I said irs only three years old, one of my friends wants it but it’s just a little bit oversized. What’s involved in reducing the gas input/ output? Is it as simple as blocking off a burner. Is that going to effect the flow size? Hypothetical the existing boiler is 102 output and I only need 75, how would you go about doing this?

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    You cant. And really should not. Boiler is designed to run w/ the orifices' provided. By you messing w/ that you could get sooting and excessive CO.

• Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,405
    Ok thanks, what about lowering the W.C in the gas valve?
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,803
    Same. The boiler was tested at 3.5" manifold pressure with all the burners. You mess with it, it's on you.
  • The Steam Whisperer
    The Steam Whisperer Member Posts: 1,215
    edited July 2020
    If you're putting it in a high mass system...ie radiant floor or gravity conversion... the extra capacity really shouldn't be a problem. If you're running low mass, IE fin tube baseboard... then I might have a concern, especially if zoned.
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    I would not even worry about the over size other than fuel cost. Can't tell you the number of times I have seen boilers way over sized. I have taken 250K out and put 140K in.