Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

Weil McLain cga 5

SnowmeltSnowmelt Member Posts: 1,194
I have a 3 year old cga that I am taking out of a customers house. Like I said irs only three years old, one of my friends wants it but it’s just a little bit oversized. What’s involved in reducing the gas input/ output? Is it as simple as blocking off a burner. Is that going to effect the flow size? Hypothetical the existing boiler is 102 output and I only need 75, how would you go about doing this?

Comments

• kcoppkcopp Member Posts: 3,513
    You cant. And really should not. Boiler is designed to run w/ the orifices' provided. By you messing w/ that you could get sooting and excessive CO.

• SnowmeltSnowmelt Member Posts: 1,194
    Ok thanks, what about lowering the W.C in the gas valve?
  • HVACNUTHVACNUT Member Posts: 3,412
    Same. The boiler was tested at 3.5" manifold pressure with all the burners. You mess with it, it's on you.
  • The Steam WhispererThe Steam Whisperer Member Posts: 520
    edited July 19
    If you're putting it in a high mass system...ie radiant floor or gravity conversion... the extra capacity really shouldn't be a problem. If you're running low mass, IE fin tube baseboard... then I might have a concern, especially if zoned.
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • unclejohnunclejohn Member Posts: 1,571
    I would not even worry about the over size other than fuel cost. Can't tell you the number of times I have seen boilers way over sized. I have taken 250K out and put 140K in.