Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Carrier Infinity 18 system

Options
I bought this Carrier Infinity system back in 2005, installed on 23 February 2005. Have had many problems with it over the last 15 years. Some covered under warranty, but most were not. Condenser, Too much Puron in line, then tech drilled hole in line, then thermostat went out in 2018, cost almost $1000 to get it replaced.
Now yesterday the unit went out. Get error code 1.38, Thermal lockout high line and to call Carrier.
Called Blackwell Heating and Air (Pensacola, Fl. ) and they to come between 9-11 to check it. Been reading the forum and it appears there was a tech bulletin in 2008 about these 2 stage compressors (Bristol), which I am assuming is what I have. Any clues as to issue? Based on my experience I would not recommend Carrier.

kenv267

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    edited July 2020
    Options
    That sounds like the discharge line sensor (though I didn’t confirm that).

If it is, the system may be low on refrigerant.

Considering the age and issues with that system, I wouldn't spend much $ on it.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    kenv267
  • kenv267
    kenv267 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    well, the tech, re-started it quickly. He stated it tripped due to heat. it was 95, plus 100% humidity. It was not low on Puron. The condenser coils were clogged with debris, which may have made it overheat as well. System is working well now. I am getting the duct work replaced as had it sealed 15+ years ago and that has broken down over time.
  • hpap
    hpap Member Posts: 10
    Options
    There's a bulletin on the Bristol compressor
    And the carrier mother board in the condenser

On a 12 year old unit that that showing multiple codes I replaced the board just recently and condenser fan motor and all is well.
  • motoguy128
    motoguy128 Member Posts: 393
    Options
    I condemned 3 Bristols in the last year. A 4th has a slow leak I couldn’t find. It’s only a matter of time before it fails. Obsolete tech with 20+ SEER inverter drive units now. But honestly a single stage, properly sized is better anyway. Most 2 stage systems are usually slightly oversized to begin with, which defeats the point.
  • TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 755
    Options
    I used two of those units back in 05 ... The Bristol compressor is a piston design and the stages are determined by the rotation. The unit pauses and reverses to change the stage. I went with them at the time because the Bristol ran about 50% in stage 1 and the scroll that was also available was in the 66% range. So it was much better with humidity.

Unfortunately -- the compressors had a tendency to self destruct and Carrier was offering a replacement program for the whole condenser -- they would however honor the normal warranty and just replace the compressor. In 05 Carrier still had the factory 10 year coverage for labor.

I sold to house to a friend and they are still working --- both 3T units and each has three zones. The infinity zone control is great especially with staged or VS equipment. One unit had to have a board replaced -- only service on the units. I have used Carrier on all my projects. That services was back in 13 when I still owned it. Straight AC -- so not hard heat pump operation.

Bristol is out of business -- the compressor can be replaced with a scroll ... if it goes.
  • motoguy128
    motoguy128 Member Posts: 393
    Options
    How hard is the controls work if you switch to a scroll If it’s a communicating? If do you just switch it to non communicating in the infinity controller and bypass the whole board and wire in a simple contactor? ... like you know, a normal AC unit.

Honestly, if it’s 410a, its probably better to just replace the coil and condenser and get a factory warranty. I’m Leery of compressor replacement on 10+ year old systems as if it fails again, the customer is pissed as they just “wasted” $$$$.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 755
    Options
    ---- Carrier would replace with a two stage scroll under warranty. The whole condenser option was a bit more money. I'm not sure taht's still available.

When I had the service call the installing dealer assumed the compressor died .... that's how I learned about the various options. It ended up being a board and it was back in action in no time.

Other than that one service .... neither unit has been touched since 2005.