Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

IBC boiler not reigniting after error

meeuwsenj
meeuwsenj Member Posts: 2
I have an IBC , SL series, with the V-10 touchscreen controller; installed 2019. While we were gone for the day, it shut down due to a "Minor Error; Low RPM/Air Flow." It did not reignite over the several hours we were gone. My plumber says It was likely due to a brief area power outage during purging or reignition and that IBC is maybe bringing out a new circuit board to correct this problem. My concern is that we are gone for the winter, plan to keep the house temp at 55 degrees. We're in the Colorado mountains, Gunnison, very cold winters.
Is anyone aware of this problem, and know what IBC is doing?

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    I am guessing there is an issue w/ the fan. Pretty rare. The v10 controller allows you to connect to the internet so you can monitor it remotely. Do you have wifi at the house?
    meeuwsenjZman
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,725
    edited June 2020
    With today's technology, any absentee owner of a vacation home is just asking for trouble if they don't stay connected to the internet to monitor the temperature during "Very Cold" winters.

You would not think of stopping your homeowner's insurance policy because the house is unoccupied. Just get the minimum fee internet and stay connected. If unavailable in your area, can you use a wireless hot spot from your cellphone service provider?

Just an opinion. Worked in a "summer" seasonal area and had many absentee owners who turned off the internet in the winter to save $. After the pipes froze and the insurance claims were filed, the inconvenience of not being able to use the home for a summer convinced the homeowner of the flaw in their logic.

Why don't they listen?

Back to your original problem. I just found this on the IBC website

"Our customer service team is here to answer all your questions and provide technical advice, if that’s what you need. You can call us at 1844-HEAT-IBC, Monday – Friday between 8:00am-4:30pm." Does not give a timezone but the first address on the company "ABOUT" page at the bottom is in New Jersey, so that would be Eastern timezone
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    meeuwsenj
  • meeuwsenj
    meeuwsenj Member Posts: 2
    kcopp, thanks, I have two Emerson, Sensi thermostats connected to my wifi, and they are supposedly set to email me if temp goes below 50 degrees. I'm hoping they are reliable, no good way to test out their alerts. If you have any experience with Emerson Sensi thermostats, I'd appreciate hearing from you.
    EdTheHeater Man; thanks, I see that phone # on their webpage; and I'll give them a call
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,725
    Put Ice in a plastic bag and place it over the thermostat That will get it to go below 60° Set your alert to 60° then see if you get the alert. After the test, put everything back the way you want it.

We had a customer with a Telephone Alert for low temperature. Every fall during the tune-up of the oil burner, I would place the device in the freezer and connect it to the phone line in the kitchen. Every year I got a call from the customer from their home to confirm the device worked before the tune-up was completed.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    kcopp
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    Ah yes. The comfort and security -- that warm fuzzy feeling -- of having the wonderful internet call and tell you that all is well -- or not well -- back at the ranch.

Right.

Two questions. First, what happens when -- for any of a variety of reasons -- the magic doesn't work and the e-mail doesn't get sent? Second, the magic did work, and it tells you it's cold in there and it's oh dark hundred and 20 below back at the ranch and... now what? Who are you going to call to come out (remember to lock the four wheel drive there, Joe) and find what's amiss?

There's much to be said for having someone local on retainer who will check the place at least now and then, and has the keys and knows where the switches and controls are...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    @CBRob is near you and quickly becoming quite knowledgeable with boilers. I believe he is in the property management business as well.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Tomizai
    Tomizai Member Posts: 11
    Make sure you get the latest software update. You will want to get up to version 10.1.10.2.1. That resolves some fan speed/rpm issues that show periodically. It can be downloaded to an empty USB stick and used to update the boiler. Here's the link for the instructions for the download.

http://ibcboiler.com/support/TIPortal/Content/Software_Update/Downloading_software_program_to_USB_or_SD_card.htm

Hope that works.