Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Volume and speed

Synway
Synway Member Posts: 48
edited May 2020 in Radiant Heating
Hi and thanks for your consideration with my ignorance.
I have two other threads related to this project but this question is about using slant fin rads. Would it be right to run the basement loop with 1/2” fitting on the return ?

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    That depends upon how long the loop is and how many feet of BB.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    Synway
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    If your basement loop has 27' or less of actual finned element your ok.
    Synway
  • Synway
    @EBEBRATT-Ed thanks. What’s the btu for a 27’ length considering the other circuits are under hardwood flooring.
  • Ironman
    That's gonna depend on the water temp supplied to it. Typically, BBs are sized for 180* SWT and hardwood floors for 120* max SWT. I see no provision for two separate supply water temps in your other post.

In order to get the rated 500+ btus per lineal foot, you would have to have 4 times that with 120* SWT or use high output BBs like Smiths Heating Edge.
    Bob Boan
  • Synway
    @Ironman thanks..... I’ve got some serious words to be shared with this company.
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 3,979
    edited May 2020
    They're work is very clean, but the finer points of hydronic heating have been neglected.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    IronmanSynway
  • Synway
    @Alan (California Radiant) Forbes thats great to hear I can understand your point. The plumber is the owners son. A young fella . I appreciate letting new blood Getting the experience. I have to find the gumption to ask for the change.
  • Ironman
    edited May 2020
    It appears he cares about doing neat work and he's young. Those are good indicators that he may be teachable.

Send him to this site and he'll get the best hydronic education free of charge. Well, almost, he'll have to pay for the books.
    Bob Boan
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 3,979
    edited May 2020
    Ditto @Ironman

Ask him to come here and we'll give him some direction and free education. If he doesn't see reason, show him the door.

This is your heating system we're talking about here and we don't want you to have to pay someone else to get it right.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    Ironman
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,720
    edited May 2020
    I taught 1-day seminars for EH-CC.org and this was my textbook for 1/2 of the day's Hydronics class. http://media.blueridgecompany.com/documents/ZoningMadeEasy.pdf

It is my go-to book for discussing issues like yours.

The two temperature discussion starts on page 24.

The second column of page 5 indicates that you need 180°F for baseboard to get the desired BTU per lineal foot.

Turns out Dan Holohan wrote the book under contract with B&G, so it is not on sale on this site. I'm happy it's available on other websites.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • Synway
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,426
    edited May 2020
    As Henry Fonda said in "Midway" the movie, "There's no shame in being ignorant, but it's nothing to be proud of either." I think you're smarter than you're letting on.

I looked at your 3 posts. What can I say? One has to start with a solid installation first that's properly planned and executed.

One doesn't ask a plumber to do Hydronics where flow and heat transfer is what it is all about unless it's one hellava plumber.
  • Synway
    @HomerJSmith thanks for your consideration and compliment (I think lol)
    Heart failure is plagued with many things including fatigue and brain function. It’s not always bad or always good. But I’m doing my best and I’ve always been intrigued with this industry.
    I am only now coming to the realization that the customer needs to hire or self complete the heat loss and plan before hiring a plumbing heating company.
    I trusted this company with guiding me throughout. He assures me I will have a comfortable home next winter. And doesn’t believe I need a radiant emitter in the basement.
    Currently I’m trying to manage the humidity in the air, at 17 -19oC and the dehumidifier in the basement just freezes up
    All that to say there are many factors to consider in comfort when dealing with comfort in an old home.