Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

open loop to well to heat/cool mini split system???

hap
hap Member Posts: 1
I'm planning to install a more efficient heat/cool system about 12000 btu in my Fla. winter mobile home. I have checked the thru the wall units at the big box stores, and online motel style ptac heat/cool units and mini split systems.
The determining factor may be the fact that I have an unused water well on the property that goes into the water table about 3-4 ft down with an unlimited supply of 70 degree ground water. I thought that I might be able to pump that to mist the condenser to boost the efficiency both for heating and cooling. I've talked to a couple people in hvac sales and they say that's not a good idea as it might upset the system and freeze the evaporator end, or build up mineral deposits on the condenser. I can see the mineral build up argument and am familiar with but not well versed in heat pump systems to follow the freezing up scenario. That led me to thinking about installing a water to air heat exchanger and running the well water through that before the condenser?? It doesn't seem that changing the air temperature within the unit should upset anything and I can dump the water in another area to return it to the aquifer and not heat up or cool down the well it self.
If anyone has any experience or knowledge on this, I'd sure appreciate your thoughts.
Thank you,
Hap

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    Several companies (notably Bosch) manufacture water to air heat pumps which are made for exactly that purpose. Probably better to go that route, rather than resort to what could only be called a kludge.

That said... check your local codes very carefully indeed. In many areas, there are restrictions on just what you can and cannot do with a water well, particularly unused wells in areas which have been provided with municipal water, or which have a permitted domestic use well on the property.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Zman
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    If you use it go water cooled as @Jamie Hall suggested. No misting that will lead to problems