Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Sad observations at grocery store

clammy
clammy Member Posts: 3,103
We all know about the pandemic where going through and all the smaller in-convinces where dealing with like social distancing and waiting to get into the grocery stores and waiting on a long line to check out. Well I had to break down and hit the store yesterday basically not much left to eat in the house . I did my shopping and got on the long check out line which went through the card isle as I slowly moved up the isle I looked and it became a little more apparent to myself minus all the media and political hype that it is serious as I looked I saw all sort of cards birthday ,anniversary,and graduation cards but as I glanced I notice one whole section that was completely empty not a single card. It was the sympathy cards not a one vacant . I kinda shrugged my head and said to myself ok I guess maybe it isn’t all political positioning or the acts of a guise to hid economic downward spiral . It was a that point that I knew we had something going on and the political and media bombarding us every 30 seconds Wasn’t all bs . The one thing for sure even when they turn it on who knows if the bulb will even light being it’s only been flicking before hand .It seems there’s gonna be a lot of alligator arms in the future and even shorter when the bill comes , I do know there as always will be hacks and fly by guys that will slip in and out leaving crap in there’s wake as seen w the last natural disaster ,Irene ,sandy and Floyd not my aunts and uncles . Peace and good luck clammy ps had had a pic but failed to load from phone
R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
NJ Master HVAC Lic.
Mahwah, NJ
Specializing in steam and hydronic heating

Comments

• Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,880
    @clammy. That is a very good and "telling' observation. Well put.

My daughter is a nurse. I have many friends and relatives that work in the medical field.
    As you might imagine. They are worn out.

It is there hope that people will not go back to "normal" until HOSPITALS allow for visits again.
  • motoguy128
    motoguy128 Member Posts: 393
    We are on the opposite end. Playing the waiting game. The virus hasn’t hit it in any meaningful numbers yet. The curve just finally started a few days ago. Went from 7 to 13 cases in a 500sqmi county of 34,000 in just that last week. So it should about double each 5-7 days from there.

Just waiting for it to hit. Iowa lifted some restrictions coming this week. They should at least be well prepared from the experience gained from other areas.

My projections anticipate 170 hospitalizations bases on latest statistical data I‘ve read. Total beds 100 in the county normally. Which is above the national average of 2.5/1000. So Should be able to reasonably manage the swell of patients if it’s spread over 3-4 months.
    EzzyT
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583
    > @motoguy128 said:
    > We are on the opposite end. Playing the waiting game. The virus hasn’t hit it in any meaningful numbers yet. The curve just finally started a few days ago. Went from 7 to 13 cases in a 500sqmi county of 34,000 in just that last week. So it should about double each 5-7 days from there.
    >
    > Just waiting for it to hit. Iowa lifted some restrictions coming this week. They should at least be well prepared from the experience gained from other areas.
    >
    > My projections anticipate 170 hospitalizations bases on latest statistical data I‘ve read. Total beds 100 in the county normally. Which is above the national average of 2.5/1000. So Should be able to reasonably manage the swell of patients if it’s spread over 3-4 months.

What other problems could it cause aside from hospitalizations?

What other permanent damage could it cause to those it doesn't kill?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,159
    The collateral damage, @ChrisJ -- as we used to call it -- is and will continue to be terrific. Some of it may be long term problems from the virus itself -- though much too little is known of it at this time to be able to say much about that. But there is ample evidence of any number of other health issues which have come up. In many areas, any surgery or medical event which came up which was not actually needed immediately to save life has been totally ignored so as to keep the hospitals clear for the expected deluge -- which hasn't materialized. There are tales -- which may be true -- as well as statistical evidence that people are not presenting for minor heart attacks and strokes either from fear of getting the virus or because they have been turned away by the ER rooms (or even EMTs). There are diagnostic tests (such as one for skin cancer which I was supposed to have) which have been postponed indefinitely. The health services are doing fabulously well -- at what they have been ordered to do, which is to prioritise this virus over everything else.

Then there is other collateral damage: increased domestic abuse. Increased suicides. Increased drug overdoses. Not to mention decreased overall mental health, even in those who have kept their jobs -- and in those who have been wildly overworked for lack of help, either from fear or fiat.

People have become ill from the collateral damage. People have died, and will continue to.

Then there is further, and hard to assess damage, to all those who have lost their jobs or their businesses.

Their will be long term political damage, too. People have -- quite understandably -- lost faith in their political leaders and in their judgement. Political leaders have made rash decisions which may prove to be difficult to undo, even if they wanted to --which not all of them will.

It is not Covid-19 which has caused all this -- it is the reaction to it. Was and is the reaction too much? Is the collateral damage acceptable? I am not wise enough to know.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Intplm.
  • BillyO
    BillyO Member Posts: 277
    big money for hospitals if patient goes thru system with co vid 19. just saying
  • ChrisJ
    > @BillyO said:
    > big money for hospitals if patient goes thru system with co vid 19. just saying

Funeral homes too. Just saying.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    CLamb
  • ChrisJ
    @Jamie Hall people are afraid of a SARS virus. Imagine that?
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,880
    @Jamie Hall A well written post. Thank you for that .

I wish you the best of health. Hope that all works out. Will be thinking of you and looking for more of your enjoyable posts in the future .
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,570
    It is not Covid-19 which has caused all this -- it is the reaction to it.

Here's how they reacted in Walnut Grove.....

Quarantine: https://youtu.be/tBg3rYxEtPw

Pandemic: https://youtu.be/s7BBURJhorw