Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pressuretrol setting with over capacity boiler

Options
13»

Comments

• SteamingatMohawk
    SteamingatMohawk Member Posts: 1,009
    Options
    What's the difference between 1009 and 1017?

I'm not inventing anything specifically, I am just PO'ed that Resideo is so unresponsive to the situation. The problems noted in HH and elsewhere on the internet about what others have experienced just escalates my dissatisfaction with the manufacturer. I'm retired and have an sort of hobby of engaging companies when I see a problem they should do something about. Not to jinx myself, but I have 100% success to date with 4 companies. It also keeps my brain working, which may be more important/valuable to me.

To make matters worse, with a 30 psig gauge on the boiler, it's pretty hard to accurately see what the Ptrol is going at. While I understand the code reasoning, on a practical basis it's not a very good situation. That being said, I believe a vast majority of residential steam heat owners have little to no clue about these details and/or aren't interested. My local HVAC company doesn't check the Ptrol on their annual maintenance. How many do?

Thanks for your comments.
  • SteamingatMohawk
    SteamingatMohawk Member Posts: 1,009
    Options
    Last week I got a followup survey phone call from Resideo asking about my satisfaction with their response to my request. I respectfully gave the nice lady an earful. At the end of the conversation, she asked if there was anything else I had to say, so I tried the one sentence summary. She asked me if I wanted her to inform a manager of my dissatisfaction. I said, "yes". A week later I still have no followup from the company. I can be patient.

Sidebar, weeks ago I came across a Johnson Controls P47AA-1C P47 Series Steam Pressure Limit Control, Single-Pole, Single-Throw, Open on Rise, Automatic Reset, 50 psi Maximum Over-Pressure weeks ago. I found out it is associated in some manner with Penn (can't remember for sure if that's the company name), but I was unable to find it available anywhere.

I happened to buy something on ZORO.com and just for grins looked at their steam heat controls and found the item for $180. I then found it on Amazon by Johnson Controls for $100.

I have been advised to go with a Vaporstat, but am not much in favor of supporting the Honeywell name if something at least technically equal is available and is more reliable.

Does anyone have any experience with the Johnson limit control?

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,354
    Options
    No, I don't. But with a 50 psi maximum, I'd be very concerned about the repeatability of its tripping at the low pressures we are interested in. That is the rationale behind the vapourstat -- whatever else you may think about Honeywell, the blessed things are sensitive, and pretty good (plus or minus a fraction of an ounce) at what they do -- even if calibration sometimes leaves something to be desired. It's the old distinction between accuracy (sometimes not so hot!) and precision (almost always excellent).
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    BobC