Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

AMERICAN MADE

BillyO
BillyO Member Posts: 277
Are there any mod con boilers 100 percent American made?

Comments

• EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,294
    @BillyO Yes Energy Kinetics Boiler’s are all manufactured in Lebanon NJ.
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856
    BillyOSuperTech
  • BillyO
    do they have a condensing wall hung?
  • EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,294
    edited April 2020
    Yes they do it’s the Accel CS
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856
    Roger
  • BillyO
    are there any piping restrictions when running radiant and baseboard off this boiler?
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    Depending on the situation. Maybe primary/ secondary. Maybe a buffer tank for the low temp stuff. No different than anything else.

Why American only? Doesn't mean it's the best anymore.
    I would recommend the Accel anyway but just wondering. Your preference or the client.

The only job I ever did that the client demanded American was a cracked 78 series Weil McLain. We installed an 80 series. Stuck with the F10 Riello though. Maybe he didn't know. No foreign cars either.
    This person is famous. Has a show on Fox News Network and frequently talks to the president. Tried to talk him into a G215 Buderus but he wouldn't have it. Nice guy... in person.

Now are you a contractor or homeowner? Any EK system is supplied and installed by a certified EK dealer. Can't find them at the local supply house.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    edited April 2020
    What about the Utica Mod-Cons? I think they are american made. Don't here much about them good or bad
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,882
    Utica and Dunkirk merged in the 90's ?I believe. Still are American
  • Le John
    Le John Member Posts: 226
    Aren't the Lochinvar Knights and Noble's manufactured in Lebanon Tennessee?
    delta TZman
  • delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    @LeJohn
    yes they are, I've been to the factory. The heat exchangers are manufactured somewhere else though, so not 100% American I guess...
  • BillyO
    Personal decision, Im a NYC LMP . going to try to keep as much as I can in America
    luketheplumber
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Not the best way to select modern heating equipment. It wasn't 20 years ago and it isn't now.
    Intplm.GrallertBrewbeerTinman
  • BillyO
    what's your suggestion then Paul?
  • Paul Pollets
    Find the best contractor in your area and see what line he recommends. I prefer Viessmann or IBC, but they may not be available in your area. If the contractor isn't familiar with the product, there may be a compromised installation.
    pecmsgdelta T
  • Paul Pollets
    If you're in NYC or the greater NY area, there are quite a few choices. See "Find a Contractor" on the main site page
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775
    edited April 2020
    90% of what you get will be sourced overseas.

@Paul Pollets is correct the installing contractor makes or breaks the final install!
    Paul Pollets
  • BillyO
    ok guys , obviously you don't read posts.
    Im a plumbing and heating contractor. Was just looking for input on American Made
    CLamb
  • HVACNUT
    > @Paul Pollets said:
    > Not the best way to select modern heating equipment. It wasn't 20 years ago and it isn't now.

You only had to go up 2 posts from yours. @BillO is a NYC plumber, not a client looking around.

You're absolutely correct though Paul. Nothing stamped "Made In America" is completely American made. Except maybe babies.

On the surface I think it's kind of commendable in the sense that the manufacturer's profits are American profits. It's what was explained to me by the guy in my post, up there☝️.

Going the "Made in America" route as a contractor isn't right or wrong but it definitely will limit the clientele. Like you mentioned, the contractor is the important factor. But is the equipment unimportant? No, of course not. People research a lot more today. Equipment is not all the same, and as much as it hurts, "Made in America" isn't always a good thing. Take my kids, please! (My friend Carol has called me Henny for 25 years. Since the day I met her.)

I do get quite a chuckle seeing foreign cars and trucks covered in pro America and "I'm a patriot" bumper stickers.

So get a Ford, Chevy, or Dodge vehicle with a nice patriotic wrap and be a certified U.S. Boiler (Burnham) installer. It won't be the best but it will be pretty to look at. As long as the person who does the wrap is American of course.
    BillyOluketheplumber
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775
    HVACNUT said:

So get a Ford, Chevy, or Dodge vehicle with a nice patriotic wrap and be a certified U.S. Boiler (Burnham) installer. It won't be the best but it will be pretty to look at. As long as the person who does the wrap is American of course.

Unfortunately several models are

Made in Canada!
    BillyOjohn p_2
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    A bunch of legal mumble jumble involved to be able to state Made in America.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    BillyO
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    "Made in America" could cover the entire western hemisphere of the planet......Canada...USA...Mexico....Brazil....Chile....etc.

Made in USA gets you a little closer to home.
    But much HVAC equipment may be assembled in the USA with "Global Componets".

Sometimes the big "Made in the USA" refers to the box it came in.

Or for instance "Vice Grips" were made in NE originially.
    Now they look the same but the packaging is such that the word "China" is covered up and not seen until the package is open.
    SuperTech
  • BillyO
    Roger, Thank you. Who do I deal with on Staten Island for EK products? I'm a Plumbing and Heating contractor
  • HVACNUT
    edited April 2020
    John Hachman is the regional Manager. Terrific guy! I don't feel right giving out his number but you can contact EK at 1-800-323-2066.
    BillyORogerSuperTech
  • Roger
    Roger Member Posts: 329
    Thank you for your kind words about John, @HVACNUT! I think he’s a terrific guy, too.

@BillyO , I’ve reached out to John and asked that he contact you directly. I trust he will PM you in the morning.

Best,
    Roger
    President
    Energy Kinetics, Inc.
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • JohnHachmann
    JohnHachmann Member Posts: 4
    Thank you for the kind words Roger and HVACNut. I look forward to speaking with you BillyO
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,713
    I feel for all of you that want American Made!!! I just bought a television that says "Built in Antenna", Hell, I don't even know where that is!?!
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    mattmia2ZmanIntplm.Tinman
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    How long have you been sitting on that one @EdTheHeaterMan ?
    steve
    mattmia2
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,713
    I couldn't resist, Steve.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    STEVEusaPA
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,574
    I'm pretty sure there isn't a US source for most electronic components even if you wanted to buy US made. Between US companies buying or assembling as many components from foreign plants and doing whatever they can to avoid paying their taxes, I'm not sure that anyone other than a handful of workers that do the final assembly benefit from most of the things that are "made" in the US over foreign products where you still have domestic sales and support people making some markup from the product.

It looks like EK is a bit different but the majority may not make much of a difference.
    Alan Welch
  • The Steam Whisperer
    The Steam Whisperer Member Posts: 1,215
    Yep, what matmia2 said, and the profits are going to corporations owned mainly my the uber wealthy, so almost no regular Joes and Janes benefit. I believe the census data is showing that at least 50% of US Households are now at or below the poverty line.... this was before the COVID-19 crisis. Over 50% of the households at the bottom end pay no taxes because they earn so little.
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.