Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hot dawg will not keep running

rodgerpinsent
rodgerpinsent Member Posts: 2
I have a 19 yr. old Hot Dawg 45,000 garage heater that runs on propane. No issues until recently. When power is turned on and thermostat is turned up, the unit does its normal 10 second starting routine, then the hot surface igniter glows, the gas valve opens and ignition starts but lasts for approx. 4 seconds. After 35 to 40 seconds the same thing happens again. After another 35 to 40 seconds the same thing happens but this time the blower motor starts and the power exhauster motor stops but the blower will continue to blow cold air until the power is switched off ( 10 min. Later).

Comments

• clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,103
    Possibly a bad flame sensor or thermocoupling not bad after 19 years ,you should chk the flame sensor or thermocouple for any build up of carbon or dirt if she is clean then also chk if any wires are loose . Make sure that the limit is closed but it is going through sequences of start up so it should be working . If you have the manual they go through a trouble shooting guide there usually quite easy to repair .
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
    coby
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    sounds like it cold be tripping limit
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,762
    Pull the flame sensor and clean the rod with fine steel wool . The flame sensor is on the far side from the ingniter .
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    Try this file:///C:/Users/Tim/Downloads/6-583.11%20(2).pdf
  • rodgerpinsent
    rodgerpinsent Member Posts: 2
    Did some trouble shooting. Discovered the vertical slots that lights the lowest nozzle was plugged thus the lowest burner was not ignighting and that is the one with the flame detector. Cleaned out slots and all is ok.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,776
    At 19 years consider replacing it. Its had a good life...……….don't let it take yours!
  • 2Buicks
    2Buicks Member Posts: 1
    My first post to the forum. This thread was useful to me. I too have an older Hot Dawg and last fall I changed out the circuit board and blew everthing out. Had problems all last winter lighting. The top burner would light but the other two always had trouble but most of the time they would finally light. Fired it up this fall and the problem was worse. So, I took the burners off and found the top one had what appeared to be some plugging in the cross-lighting slot. Cleaned that with a razor blade. Took the gas orifices out and the bottom two looked to have some sort of crud in them. Not real bad but I cleaned them out too. Reassembled and works great now. Thanks.