Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Ping, Ping, Ping

rhw1
rhw1 Member Posts: 32
This is probably the millionith time this has been discussed but trying to figure out if my slow mind has missed something. Boiler has been re-piped and pipes are insulated. Upon starting things are mostly quiet with the exception of one radiator. This is a one pipe system and radiator seems properly pitched. It just pings loudly for a while. Vent holds a slight amount of water but does not drip or hiss. What should I check or do? Thanks.

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    Check radiator pitch pitch of the main and pitch of the run out branch that feeds the radiator.
    ethicalpaul
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,177
    Is it a ping? Or a bang? If it's a ping, put something slippery under the feet -- like pieces of old milk jug -- and check where the pipes come through walls and floors and add bits there, too, if they seem like they can touch.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,762
    The wood floor around the riser could be touching . Slide a small sheet of that milk jug between the pipe and the wood .
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,695

Check radiator pitch pitch of the main and pitch of the run out branch that feeds the radiator.

pitch of the run out branch that feeds the radiator. <- This part especially!!
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    Hap_Hazzard
  • Precaud
    Precaud Member Posts: 370
    Is it the largest radiator? Just curious.
    1950's Bryant boiler in a 1-pipe steam system at 7,000 ft in northern NM, where basements are rare.
  • rhw1
    Not the largest. 30 1/2 L by 19 1/2 H.
  • Precaud
    Precaud Member Posts: 370
    Oh well. That shoots my theory :blush:
    1950's Bryant boiler in a 1-pipe steam system at 7,000 ft in northern NM, where basements are rare.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,177
    If really is expansion noise, it's almost impossible to predict which radiators -- or pipes -- might do it. Best one can do is to try to locate it. And then one can sometimes do something about it -- and sometimes just stare at it with dismay. Sometimes it will be a big radiator. Sometimes a little tiny one.

Frustrating...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • rhw1
    whats the best (easiest) way to lift the radiator in order to slip a shim under it?
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    @rhw1
    a crowbar and some wood blocking to get the crowbar in the right spot. No fingers under the radiator!!!
    Hap_Hazzard
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,954
    edited April 2020
    Tilt towards back. Slide shim under front leg. Pull towards front. Slide shim under back leg.
    ethicalpaul
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    My crowbar isn't very long so I always used a 3 or 4 ft 2x4 and some blocking to lift a radiator. Do it gently so nothing unfortunate happens.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge