Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Time on your hands?

BobC
BobC Member Posts: 5,476
If you are running out of things to do durring this shutdown perhaps you should consider restoring something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACO-HXvrRz8&list=PLf0IJmoCsLHm1z7RrsJ6HLV9ISu64DLhv&index=2&t=0s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUg_ukBwsyo&list=PLf0IJmoCsLHm1z7RrsJ6HLV9ISu64DLhv&index=2

If you can get your hands on one it should provide endless opportunity to display your steam skills.

Bob
Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
3PSI gauge
SuperTech

Comments

• nibs
    nibs Member Posts: 511
    Had a carpenter friend who used to say, when you have no work, sharpen your tools, both mental and metal.
    Zman
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    How do you sharpen a Stillson wrench?
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    I have a new TIG welder on the way. I can do stick and MIG already, but with the addition of my aluminum boat 2 years ago, I figured this was the time to step up and learn something new.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • nibs
    @Hap_Hazzard , you cant, but you can sharpen your mind:-)
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    KC_Jones said:

I have a new TIG welder on the way. I can do stick and MIG already, but with the addition of my aluminum boat 2 years ago, I figured this was the time to step up and learn something new.

I like it. I have a TIG setup for my Multimatic 200 still in the box.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    Zman said:

KC_Jones said:

I like it. I have a TIG setup for my Multimatic 200 still in the box.
    Mine is an "off brand" from a company called Prime Weld. I don't have the money for a Miller/Lincoln/ESAB set up so I went with this.

I actually follow a fabricator on youtube called 6061.com, he is incredible with a TIG torch. He has one of the Prime Weld TIG welders that I ordered and said it works fantastic. I liked the under 1k price tag for an AC/DC TIG setup. DC is fairly easy to find a good deal on, but for Aluminum I need the AC, so the price goes up.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    Zman
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,272
    Hi @Hap_Hazzard , This may be strange, but I actually do sharpen my pipe wrenches. :p The teeth get rounded over the years, so I take a Dremel with a biggish grindstone on it. and run it by each tooth on the wrench. The stone needs to have a sharp right angle in it. The tools grab SO much better with sharp teeth that my knuckles don't get banged up any more! And I've been doing this since BEFORE covid 19 :D

Yours, Larry
    rick in Alaska
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    @Larry Weingarten
    I used to think Dremels were toys and they are but that toy has bailed me out a few times when nothing else will work.

I have used it to sharpen those metal step bits that are pretty pricey
    Larry WeingartenBobC
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    @EBEBRATT-Ed A dremel is not my most used tool but it's worth it's weight in gold. Same thing for an oscillating cut off tool, it only does a few things really well but often there is no other option.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Hap_Hazzard
    BobC said:

A dremel is not my most used tool but it's worth it's weight in gold. Same thing for an oscillating cut off tool, it only does a few things really well but often there is no other option.

For plunge cuts there's nothing like them.
  • Hap_Hazzard

This may be strange, but I actually do sharpen my pipe wrenches. :p The teeth get rounded over the years, so I take a Dremel with a biggish grindstone on it. and run it by each tooth on the wrench. The stone needs to have a sharp right angle in it. The tools grab SO much better with sharp teeth that my knuckles don't get banged up any more! And I've been doing this since BEFORE covid 19 :D

You might get better results by removing the jaws and taking them to your bench grinder. A green wheel would work best.
  • Larry Weingarten
    Hi @Hap_Hazzard , I agree with you for the Stillson type wrench where the jaw is easily removable, but with other styles, that would be interesting. I just like old automatic pipe wrenches!!

Yours, Larry

• Hap_Hazzard
    edited April 2020
    I remember those from the wrenches thread. Pretty neat. But are those jaws hardened? If they are, I'd use a diamond sharpeneing stone or a diamond emery board.
  • Larry Weingarten
    Hi @Hap_Hazzard , You must be a wrench nerd also B) The two pictured are hard to file, but I suppose it could be done. I do have some other wrenches where a sharp, fine file just slides and can't bite. A sharp triangular file might be good also for sharpening tools that will accept a file. I'm thinking your approach leaves nicer looking teeth than a Dremel. More than one way to pet the cat!

Yours, Larry
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Yeah, @Larry Weingarten, files don't bite into hardened steel. That's one test that's used after heat-treating.

If you can find one of those little diamond emery boards, or nail files, that's the ticket. They can get into tight spaces and cut hardened steel. Just don't press too hard, because they bend, and you won't get a flat edge. And don't use any cutting oil. Diamond grit likes water, but you can use them dry and then wash them later.

Here's a picture:

They sell them in drug stores, and they usually have different grits on each side, which is handy.
  • nibs
    You can buy diamond files in almost any shape and many grits, down to microns, they are not all that expensive, I use one for scissors and one or two others for carbide router bits.
    Hap_Hazzard