Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Proper order of water components.

brandonf
brandonf Member Posts: 205
Here's how the water comes into my house:

(Street)-(Water Meter)-(Backflow Preventer)-(Expansion Tank)-(Whole House Filter)-(Home Plumbing).
My question is, do those components have to be in that order?
Can the whole house filter be before the backflow preventer?
Can the expansion tank be after all the other components?
I'd like it to be Meter----WH_Filter----Backflow Prev----Expansion Tank.

Thoughts?
The backflow preventer is there because the city requires it.
Homeowner, Entrepreneur, Mechanic, Electrician,

"The toes you step on today are connected to the butt you'll have to kiss tomorrow". ---Vincent "Buddy" Cianci

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    If the utility requires the backflow preventer, they want it to be the first thing after your meter -- and certainly before the filter, which can be a significant source of contamination.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    If your meter is in a pit installed on a yoke, it could have a BFD built in. A PRV is also a good idea to keep pressure below 80 psi.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Zman
  • brandonf
    Good point. I had no idea water filters could be a source of contamination but it makes sense.
    Is it possible for me to put the expansion tank last in line after the filter? Or does the tank have to be close to the backflow preventer?

"The toes you step on today are connected to the butt you'll have to kiss tomorrow". ---Vincent "Buddy" Cianci
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    Tank can go pretty much anywhere on the house side.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • brandonf
    Well that's good news. Thank you gentlemen.

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    Tank needs to be downstream of any BFD. Usually they are located at the cold supply to the water heater.

Check with your water provider see if they require a back flow device, if so, some will supply them no charge as they get funding to upgrade their systems.

Keep in mind the BFD may require yearly testing, could be $150 or more to have it recertified yearly. Some water providers will levy fines if you do not test and document yearly.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • brandonf
    > @hot_rod said:
    > Tank needs to be downstream of any BFD. Usually they are located at the cold supply to the water heater.
    >
    > Check with your water provider see if they require a back flow device, if so, some will supply them no charge as they get funding to upgrade their systems.
    >
    > Keep in mind the BFD may require yearly testing, could be $150 or more to have it recertified yearly. Some water providers will levy fines if you do not test and document yearly.

Yeah we get it tested yearly now against our will. Haha. I would like a larger one considering the incoming pipe is 1 inch and they have a half inch preventer hooked up now.
    Maybe I can get them to give me a new one