Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Triangle Tube Challenger domestic hot water does not maintain temp

Options
ciro13
ciro13 Member Posts: 3
Per the title discussion, the Triangle Tube Challenger in my home does not maintain temperature of domestic hot water. When the hot water is running, like in the shower or when filling a bath, the temperature of the hot water will begin hot, then go cold, then it'll go hot again, eventually it'll go cold again. These periods hot and cold water will last between 30 seconds and several minutes. I want the temperature of the water to remain steady when I set the taps to run.

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    How old is the system?
    Is this a new problem?
    Pictures of boiler piping is always helpful.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    kcopp
  • ednelson7373
    ednelson7373 Member Posts: 8
    Options
    hello my name is Ed I am in the triangle tube tech support dept.
    please give us a call at 856 228 8881 we would glad to help you figure out the issue we are here from 8am to 5 pm Monday through Thursday and 8 to 4:30 on Friday eastern time
    thank you
    kcoppErin Holohan Haskell
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    We'd sure like to know the outcome, if you don't mind.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    kcopp
  • ciro13
    Options
    Zman, Can this be a piping issue?

System can't be older than 2015/2016 - it's been like this since we started living here in 2017.

I'll have to see what Triangle Tube Tech Support has to say next week and I'll post an update here.
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    Is there a mixing valve on the DHW outlet. Should be - it comes with the boiler. Not saying this is the issue.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    I have worked/ installed many of these.
    If you can post a picture that would help.
    Are you on a well or City water?
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Options
    Talk to mister Ed. It would be great if your name was Wilbur
    MikeAmann
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    Options
    I would say the flow sensor is hanging up, but just an educated guess. Tech support will be able to figure it out though.
    Rick
  • ciro13
    Options
    City water. There's a mixing valve. Thanks everyone.
  • hotwatercold
    hotwatercold Member Posts: 3
    Options
    I am having the same problem with my triangle tube combo boiler. When the hot water is running, the temperature of the hot water will begin hot, then go cold, then it'll go hot again, eventually it'll go cold again. These periods hot and cold water will last between 30 seconds and several minutes. I want the temperature of the water to remain steady when I set the taps to run.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    This could be several issues.
    excessive flow rate, a scaled heat exchanger or a bad mix valve.
    Have you changed out a shower head lately?
    How long have you been at this home?
    Is this a recent issue or a slow progression?
  • hotwatercold
    hotwatercold Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Boiler is about 8 years old. I remember that the shower head(s) have been problematic from day one. I have purchased at least a 6 different shower heads over the years under the assumption that reducing the water flow through the boiler would give the boiler a chance to the heat the water to the set temp. I’ve even modified several shower heads to further restrict flow to the point where pressure out of the head is extremely slow. I’ve tried setting the dhw temp numerous times & now in have the setting at 140 without improvement. When I turn the shower on and watch the boiler screen readout I get the following sequence-

Clearly the boiler is only reaching 116 degrees instead of the set point of 140 degrees. The sequence shown in the pics will continue until the hot water fixture is turned off. Mixing valve is a Caleffi 521 set to max 150 degrees. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks