Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler Ratings Explained

HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 635
edited August 2018 in THE MAIN WALL

Boiler Ratings Explained

Read the full story here

Comments

• KiwiFella
    KiwiFella Member Posts: 7
    Thanks heaps for the explanation.
    Im a learner DIY'er when it comes to plumbing & wonder if the cooker with a boiler within it, is going to be as large as I am hoping. You have answered quite a few query's I have had.
    Many thanks.
    This web site has helped heaps for the 2 plus yrs I have received its weekly posting. Many thanks all you contributrs
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    Thanks!
    Retired and loving it.
  • steamfitter
    steamfitter Member Posts: 156
    Another great one for the archives! Years ago, before I read this article, I was not able to really wrap my head around the pick-up factor.
    This article cleared things up for me!
    Dan's way of writing breaks up the scientific mumbo-jumbo and totally clarifies it in such a way that I can now teach it to my apprentices with confidence.
    The "power of Holohan" passes knowledge down to many people, so that they can teach many more. A ripple effect if you will.
    And I am grateful for that.
    Thanks Dan!
  • steamfitter
    steamfitter Member Posts: 156
    May I add a word of thanks to Erin for posting these gems which allow us to enjoy them again and continue the education!
    Thank you Erin!
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,276
    Thanks, @steamfitter!
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
  • DanHolohan
    Thanks @steamfitter
    Retired and loving it.
  • Jackmartin
    Jackmartin Member Posts: 196
    edited August 2018
    Good post, things get even more difficult when someone installs a condensing boiler. This high effiency is great for swimming pools and radiant heat as the water temperature is low enough for condensation of flue gases to take place. Try telling a customer with fin tube, no condensation. and the 95 percent boiler he bought to save loads of money is like a politicans promise all talk, no do, gets ugly very quickly. All the best Jack

• SteamCrazy
    SteamCrazy Member Posts: 100
    Great info. Thank you so much. I must say I'm fairly new to this but I caught the bug Dan and Erin I have become a Steam Junkie and I can't get enough lol. I have a older Victorian home from 1896 and I'm working redoing the steam system. Excited!
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,276

Great info. Thank you so much. I must say I'm fairly new to this but I caught the bug Dan and Erin I have become a Steam Junkie and I can't get enough lol. I have a older Victorian home from 1896 and I'm working redoing the steam system. Excited!

This makes my day. Thanks!
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
  • DanHolohan
    Mine too! Thanks.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    One thing I've been curious about is the two different output ratings for a given boiler, one for steam, one for water. Same boiler, same burner, same input.
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168

One thing I've been curious about is the two different output ratings for a given boiler, one for steam, one for water. Same boiler, same burner, same input.

Couldn't say for sure, but I'd guess a combination of lower temperature of the water and increased heat transfer area due to being filled with water? The heat transfer area above the water line in a steam boiler doesn't contribute much to steaming, after all, although one could think of it as a remarkably poor superheater… dry the steam a little...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Solid_Fuel_Man