Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

Boiler Ratings Explained

HeatingHelpHeatingHelp Posts: 301
edited August 2018 in THE MAIN WALL

Boiler Ratings Explained

Read the full story here

Comments

• KiwiFellaKiwiFella Member Posts: 7
    Thanks heaps for the explanation.
    Im a learner DIY'er when it comes to plumbing & wonder if the cooker with a boiler within it, is going to be as large as I am hoping. You have answered quite a few query's I have had.
    Many thanks.
    This web site has helped heaps for the 2 plus yrs I have received its weekly posting. Many thanks all you contributrs
  • DanHolohanDanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 14,908
    Thanks!
    Retired and loving it.
  • steamfittersteamfitter Member Posts: 161
    Another great one for the archives! Years ago, before I read this article, I was not able to really wrap my head around the pick-up factor.
    This article cleared things up for me!
    Dan's way of writing breaks up the scientific mumbo-jumbo and totally clarifies it in such a way that I can now teach it to my apprentices with confidence.
    The "power of Holohan" passes knowledge down to many people, so that they can teach many more. A ripple effect if you will.
    And I am grateful for that.
    Thanks Dan!
  • steamfittersteamfitter Member Posts: 161
    May I add a word of thanks to Erin for posting these gems which allow us to enjoy them again and continue the education!
    Thank you Erin!
  • Erin Holohan HaskellErin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 1,254
    Thanks, @steamfitter!
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
    Thanks @steamfitter
    Retired and loving it.
  • JackmartinJackmartin Member Posts: 148
    edited August 2018
    Good post, things get even more difficult when someone installs a condensing boiler. This high effiency is great for swimming pools and radiant heat as the water temperature is low enough for condensation of flue gases to take place. Try telling a customer with fin tube, no condensation. and the 95 percent boiler he bought to save loads of money is like a politicans promise all talk, no do, gets ugly very quickly. All the best Jack

• SteamCrazySteamCrazy Member Posts: 15
    Great info. Thank you so much. I must say I'm fairly new to this but I caught the bug Dan and Erin I have become a Steam Junkie and I can't get enough lol. I have a older Victorian home from 1896 and I'm working redoing the steam system. Excited!
  • Erin Holohan HaskellErin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 1,254

Great info. Thank you so much. I must say I'm fairly new to this but I caught the bug Dan and Erin I have become a Steam Junkie and I can't get enough lol. I have a older Victorian home from 1896 and I'm working redoing the steam system. Excited!

This makes my day. Thanks!
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
    Mine too! Thanks.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Solid_Fuel_ManSolid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 1,926
    One thing I've been curious about is the two different output ratings for a given boiler, one for steam, one for water. Same boiler, same burner, same input.
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • Jamie HallJamie Hall Member Posts: 12,327

One thing I've been curious about is the two different output ratings for a given boiler, one for steam, one for water. Same boiler, same burner, same input.

Couldn't say for sure, but I'd guess a combination of lower temperature of the water and increased heat transfer area due to being filled with water? The heat transfer area above the water line in a steam boiler doesn't contribute much to steaming, after all, although one could think of it as a remarkably poor superheater… dry the steam a little...
    Br. Jamie, osb

Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England.

Hoffman Equipped System (all original except boiler), Weil-Mclain 580, 2.75 gph Carlin, Vapourstat 0.5 -- 6.0 ounces per square inch
    Solid_Fuel_Man