Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Water feeder mystery

STEAM DOCTOR
STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,953
Brand new water feeder. Not working. Won't feed. Any ideas.

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Is that a wireless model? :*
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,953
    > @JUGHNE said:
    > Is that a wireless model? :*

You got it. Homeowner hired plumber to install. HO called plumber first time he had to add water. Plumber said that he doesn't do wiring.
    BobCHap_HazzardAMservices
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Let me guess. His brother is an electrician. :D
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • dopey27177
    dopey27177 Member Posts: 887
    Need to call an electrician to wire the feeder.

Jake
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,616
    Cheesy to not mention that up front, but I wouldn't be comfortable with just any old plumber running wires.
    ethicalpaul
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    edited March 2020
    Four years ago I contracted to have a minisplit installed, it cost me about 12X what a good 12k window shaker costs. I wasn't happy but if that's what it costs so be it, I was getting close to 70 and did not want to schlep that box from the garage to the window again. After that they told me it would be an additional $900 to wire it.

I worked as an industrial electrician for years so I know what I'm doing for anything 480v and lower. I told them I would provide a AC disconnect anyplace they needed it and provide that with a properly fused 240v feed, they agreed to that.

They came and got ready to install it and asked me when my electrician would be there. After explaining what I agreed to, I told them to hook up the three wires themselves or put it back on the truck. They called the office and were told to wire it.

I was not going to pay an exorbitant fee to run 20 ft of #12 wire and screw a $15 disconnect to the wall of the house. When I last had my roof done I told them the chimney needed repointing and asked if they could do that. They said sure and the roofers dad and his grandfather showed up to do the job the next day. They took it down to the roof and built it back up for $400, do you know what a mason would have charged for that - well over a grand.
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
    ethicalpaul
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    This reminds me of the story of the guy who brought a Nest tstat and packed it into his luggage so he could monitor his temp at home while out of town.....another WIFI magic trick.
    SuperTech
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    The smarter the technology gets…
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,695
    edited March 2020
    I like your story, @BobC! I have this same feeling every time my house needs something. I'm worse than you even, though, I fear...I installed my 3-head mini split myself. I love that heat pump tech

(I used #10 wire though :sweat_smile: )
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el