Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiator enclosure

Cambello
Cambello Member Posts: 10
edited March 2020 in Strictly Steam
Hello,

We are remodeling our 3rd floor walk up attic and built a set of shelves around the radiator. I also built a window seat above the radiator (at my wife’s request) and I’m wondering if I have reduced the heating capacity of the rad? The front of the radiator is fully open but I’m wondering if I should put a grill (or even drill holes) in the seat to allow for greater heat distribution?

I’ve attached photos showing the configuration and as always, appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Jeff

Comments

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,762
    edited March 2020
    On this site in the search box on main page enter radiator covers..
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    edited March 2020
    I would call that a window sill, as no one but a cat will sit on that in the winter.
    Yes you’re reducing output, but it may be oversized anyway. Something reflective in the back and a grill in the top to allow convection, would be a little better.
    Hopefully the wood you used is stable as you have it right against the radiator, and the vent.
    steve
  • Cambello
    Thank You for the comments. So - something reflective like some kind of foil insulation? Also, this is more a guest room so it will not be in regular use.

You’re correct that it is more of a window sill than a seat. I’m thinking of just drilling holes in a grid pattern to allow the heat to ‘escape’ it being trapped in this little chamber- might this help?

Thank You,

Jeff
  • Big Ed_4

vaporvacHVACNUTSuperTechCanucker
  • Gsmith
    Gsmith Member Posts: 431
    if you can add a piece of sheet metal (perhaps aluminum sheet) behind the radiator and bent forward and under the shelf, as in the middle top illustration above, that will help convection of the heated air.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    > @Cambello said:
    >
    > You’re correct that it is more of a window sill than a seat. I’m thinking of just drilling holes in a grid pattern to allow the heat to ‘escape’ it being trapped in this little chamber- might this help?
    >
    > Thank You,
    >
    > Jeff

Drill holes?
    If you dont want elaborate but still nice, make a simple design pattern, not just a grid. Use different size bits. Keep the holes to the outer thirds. I don't want to get swampy if I sit there.
  • SteamingatMohawk
    SteamingatMohawk Member Posts: 997
    Consider adding a small fan, forced convection is better than natural convection.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,776
    edited March 2020
    Simple brass front. Possibly a grate on top

Canuckervaporvac
  • SteamingatMohawk
    SteamingatMohawk Member Posts: 997
    search "muffin fan" on Amazon. Just make sure you choose a quiet one (low decibels). There's one for under $20 that's 23 CFM and 28 db. I know absolutely nothing about it and don't get any kickback, just like to search for stuff.
  • Big Ed_4
    Thanks Erin , I could not figure how to share the link , only the photo..
  • Cambello
    Thanks for all the great comments. And I like the idea of both the sheet metal and more creative holes to be drilled instead of a grid.
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,276
    Big Ed_4 said:

Thanks Erin , I could not figure how to share the link , only the photo..

@Big Ed_4, you can copy the url and paste it into the comment box. More tips here: https://heatinghelp.com/forum-user-manual
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,695
    edited March 2020
    Nothing to see here
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el