Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Is Tekmar WattsHome App Working?

abro42
abro42 Member Posts: 12
hi and hello:

Installed the Tekmar TSTAT 561 and used TekmarConnect for remote access to the thermostat. Basic data for floor temp and energy use obtained as well as control of set temp and measured room temp. Outside temp not indicated remotely (very unfortunate), locally OK. PCM enabled for control of TSTAT with my radiant heating system and just about satisfied w/ remote TSTAT operation until the following.

End of Life support for TekmarConnect. as of mid-March 2020. No longer can I access the TSTAT via the web. Replacement is an app for my SAMSUNG GALAXY G7 and called WATTHome. Downloaded the app and the following is observed

(1) app crashes when opening
(b) called Tecmar Support- very little help and support.
(c) Could not tell me when the "server" will be fixed. A massive migration underway between old and new software and apps and he advised me to wait - ridiculous answer!!!!
(d)Server is off-site and INTERNET is down he told me. Redundancy not part of the design and did not know ETR (Expected Time for Repair) - another ridiculous answer!!!!!!
(e) Extremely discouraging to hear this and shocked I must suffer. Now I wonder if Tekmar is a viable company for my radiant heating needs.

(f)Anybody having any problems with the new app from Tekmar (WattsHome) and using it with a Tekmar 561 TSTAT (Android version)?

(g) Also what alternative to Tekmar TSAT 561 and has web access, either PC and/or cell telephone for Android OS??

Sorry for the long winded question/observations. Thx in advance. Stay healthy.

Comments

• ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,617
    It takes an amazing amount of thought, planning, & execution to end up with reliability. That the first few generations of IOT devices aren't is unsurprising—my guess is that we're not even close yet.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    There is a fundamental assumption in things like your new software and app -- and that assumption is very common: that the internet and the remote servers and programs are 100% reliable and will always be working properly.

They won't be.

So, if you are depending on them for some important, never mind critical, function or information, you will be out of luck at least part of the time. If you're good with that, OK.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,139
    The Honeywell app for my T6 pro thermostats works flawlessly for my android phone. It does everything that Tekmar one does from the sound of things. They make a version of this thermostat that is designed specifically for Hydronic application.
    STEVEusaPA
  • abro42
    abro42 Member Posts: 12
    [Solved] WattsHome App for Android Working

Amazing...the app works. Problems at the Tekmar Controls end finally resolved. Yes the IoT is a new paradigm, yielding hopefully smiles and limited frustration. I can now access my Tekmar 561 for added functionality involving energy use, heating schedules, and real-time heat control for my radiant heating system.

Will look into the Honeywell TSATS for radiant heating applications as mentioned above. Might have more functionality than the Tekmar 561.