Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiant Manifolds and Fire Walls

winesalot
winesalot Member Posts: 32
edited March 2020 in Radiant Heating
I have a radiant system I am installing that was designed by Harvey Ramer. (I would highly recommend hiring him to design your system, he was wonderful to work with.) What I failed to realize in the planning stage is that 4 of the 5 radiant manifolds are in 2-hour fire walls. When I placed the tubing I brought it up right in the middle of the 2 sheets of 5/8" drywall that makes up the 2-hour fire system. I am not sure what the best way would be to proceed with the manifold installation. Thoughts?

One idea I am considering is to push the tubing and manifolds to the wall interior and install a fire rated door like this: https://www.supplyhouse.com/Acudor-FB-5060-18x18-18-x-18-Fire-Rated-Access-Door-6796000-p
Rich_49

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    Fire rated door is ok.

Is the tubing intruding on the fire rating of the 5/8 sheet rock?

I suppose you could build a little bump out for the tubing or put the manifolds behind the wall and use the fire door
    BillyO
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    To maintain the fire rating, you must have the required total thickness of fire rated sheet rock -- or a fire door. Lots of ways to do it. One thing to watch, though, is that any openings in the sheet rock for pipes to pass through must themselves have fire rated closures -- fire stopping insulation or something of the sort -- and the pipes must be fire rated.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    BillyO
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    The door is the easy part. If the tubing or piping is passing through the assembly it get mush harder.
    Both 3M and Hilti have a huge catalog of fire rated products. Hopefully you can use an intumescent caulk.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    BillyORich_49
  • winesalot
    winesalot Member Posts: 32
    Thanks for the input. This has been helpful.