Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Polysulfone fittings - you like them?

norfitz
norfitz Member Posts: 54
My current PEX fitting manufacturer is transitioning to polysulfone fittings, and of course my customers will have to buy expensive new tools in order to use them. Anybody know if there is a particular manufacturer whom these other manufacturers are simply name-branding? Any other observations about polysulfone fittings?

Comments

• GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,889
    Why would they need new tools? The fittings are either crimp or expansion, same as any other pex fittings and there are several MFG making poly fittings. I wouldn't use them in a stressed application as I've seen elbows break in half under stress, but they're honestly (my opinion) a better option than brass in most cases. With that said, I use primarily brass but that's ONLY for aesthetics
    JessieJ2020norfitz
  • JessieJ2020
    JessieJ2020 Member Posts: 1
    As a leading manufacturer of polysulfone(PPSU) fittings, F2159 crimp fittings and F1960 expansion fittings they are very popular in the US market, there are ZERO customer complaint in the past 10 years. PPSU is a cost effective alternative to brass.
    norfitz
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,576
    I'm curious about this stress issue since I used them in a buried inline coupler connection because they could be buried directly but brass would require protection (even though they were insulated and sleeved in plastic drain tile so they are protected).
    norfitz
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024

Why would you put a fitting is a stress or potential stress condition? If not the fitting, the crimp connection would be compromised. I would think encased in concrete would be safer than brass sleeved where there could be flex or movement working on the connection.

It may take some years to know if any short comings of that material. Reminds me of the move from brass to acetyl fittings in PB systems :(

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    norfitz