Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Floor heat temperature

NHRA
NHRA Member Posts: 3
Our house has floor heat. It is not the main heat source and only covers part of the house. The main living area has the heat pipes attached to the floor. The basement pipes are encased in concrete. The garage is also in concrete as is the workshop. Each of those areas has a separate thermostat. Boiler is electric. The boiler temperature is very low. Around 85 to 90 degrees. Is that hot enough. A heating contractor told me that the floor pipes should not be any higher. But there is no way of regulating the temp. of the AF in each zone. Is that information above correct? Thanks

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Is the living area tubing just stapled to the bottom of the plywood without aluminum plates?
    Could you post pictures of the boiler, model number and approx footages of spaces served?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,889
    Is the space maintaining thermostat setpoint? If so, then yes it's hot enough. If not, then it should be turned up. What is this "AF" you cannot regulate the temp of?
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    Yes, if you can comfortably heat the home with low Supply temperatures like that is great

It’s really about the surface temperature of the floor both for output and comfort
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    neilc
  • NHRA
    NHRA Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the responses. I am away from home for 6 to 8 weeks but will get some model numbers and pics when I return. AF is antifreeze.
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,889
    The boiler will have a control to raise the temperature if necessary. You would typically be fine with up to 120 degree water temps in a system like this, but that may be limited by your flooring
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775
    I hope you have cheap electric rates. Every °F you raise it is going to cost $

Are there any other fuel sources available, Oil, NG, LP?