Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Navien install

I have a customer who hired me to install the Navien combi.
I have a gas meter 1 foot away on the left and an electrical panel 2 feet away on the right wondering if this is going to fly with the inspector.
I usually go right outside with the vent straight up and out. I could install it 8 feet away and used PVC 90's (2 turns to get outside in the same spot. Thoughts on the clearance?

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583

I have a customer who hired me to install the Navien combi.
    I have a gas meter 1 foot away on the left and an electrical panel 2 feet away on the right wondering if this is going to fly with the inspector.
    I usually go right outside with the vent straight up and out. I could install it 8 feet away and used PVC 90's (2 turns to get outside in the same spot. Thoughts on the clearance?

What does the manufacturer require?
    As far as the utilities, I believe that depends on the area and the variations are enormous. Some won't care, others won't allow it.

If it was me, I'd just call the inspector and ask him.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    Ironman
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775
    I use 36" clearance to both but that's me.
  • Bill Julian
    Bill Julian Member Posts: 162
    O ya I'll call the inspector but its Saturday. I'm probably going to install the Navien in a different spot and use elbows to vent.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,366
    most gas regulator vents can be piped away with 3/4" pvc to achieve proper clearance, but check with the inspector.

an electric panel should be 3' from any plumbing, but if it's an existing installation it may be allowed.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,888
    36" from electrical panel to boiler and 48" from exhaust termination to regulator is the local code here
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583
    GroundUp said:

36" from electrical panel to boiler and 48" from exhaust termination to regulator is the local code here

Where is "here" ?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,888
    ChrisJ said:

GroundUp said:

Where is "here" ?
    Minnesota
  • Bill Julian
    Bill Julian Member Posts: 162
    I already think I am not going to install the combi near the gas meter too risky and I'm sure not code without speaking to the local inspector.
    I will install behind the existing boiler. problem is I like to do 80% of the work including building my wall but the existing boiler is int he way....I'll figure it out.